What is this? Starter Solenoid?

lmsmith

Seaman
I pulled this off the transom. What is it? I'm as green as a guy can get working on outboards. I haven't got a manual yet, waiting for the title to go through before I sink to much money in it.

Attachments

• P8170041 (1280x960).jpg
    P8170041 (1280x960).jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 0

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What is this?

That was probably the servo for the hydraulic trim\tilt system.

lmsmith

Seaman

Everything was running to it as if the boat was using it, but there isn't any tilt/trim on the boat/engine.

Here's a close up of the cover.

Attachments

• P8170041.jpg
    P8170041.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Did you cut all of the wires or did you find it that way? It looks to me like an older style starter solenoid/relay.

starter relay.JPG

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

That's the starter solenoid. It would have been a little help to know what motor is on this boat. Some older engines had the solenoid inside the boat rather than under the ending cowl.

lmsmith

Seaman

Did you cut all of the wires or did you find it that way? It looks to me like an older style starter relay.

View attachment 108702

Yeah, I cut them off.

That's the starter solenoid. It would have been a little help to know what motor is on this boat. Some older engines had the solenoid inside the boat rather than under the ending cowl.

It's a 1956 30 hp Evinrude and it does have electric start. I didn't know to tell ya'll the motor. I'm learning as I go.

Is there a way to check if tis one is still good? Should I even worry about it? This one seems pretty rough. Does the new one have to be the same type of one, or do they have a modern equivelant?

By the way guys, thanks for replying.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Why in the world did you cut the wires instead of just disconnecting them? Or are you rewiring the entire boat aas well?

joed

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I saw one very similar to that once. It was the starter solenoid for a Johnson circa 1960.
Perhaps it is left over from a previous motor.

lmsmith

Seaman

Why in the world did you cut the wires instead of just disconnecting them? Or are you rewiring the entire boat aas well?

All of the wiring is shot, cracking out the wazoo. Yep, plan to re-wire the whole thing. Doesn't appear to be more than ten wires run throughtout this thing.

Here are pictures in the Restoration forum.:
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=508004

From what everyone is saying it appears to be the starter solenoid. Motor is a 1956 30hp Evinrude.

Do you have to replace it with the same type part or is there a newer version now a days? I don't think the one I took off is worthy of being put back in.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Starter solenoids are pretty universal. If it has two large and two small terminals it will work.