88 force 85 no spark

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put boat in the water today and would not start, it ran 2 days ago. After bypassing the tether switch and putting the old ignition switch back in it still didn't start, put it back on the trailer towed it home, checked spark and had none. Not sure where to go with this one any help would be great

bentle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 88 force 85 no spark

Makes ya want to rip your hair out after awhile. Ok check for any loose wires, loose grounds in and around motor. Also check the tiny wires that are under fly wheel for any signs of wear. Exposed wires or broken. Also check wires on power strip for loose, or broken ends. Make sure cds are all grounded to engine block.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Try the magnet under the flywheel??The flywheel key might have sheared.
outboardignition.com has test procedures.J

FAQdaWorld

Cadet

I'd check to see if you are getting voltage on the magneto circuit (Especially since you've been tinkering with the safety tether and ignition switch) Check at the engine starter side terminal. There is a blue wire connection, and a white wire connection. You should not see voltage AT ANY TIME on these. You can also try completely disconnecting the white magneto wire and see if that gets you some spark.

This happened to me a while back on my motor and I was getting some crazy voltage on the magneto circuit that was intermittent.

Rewired the terminal and havent had a problem since!

Good luck,

-FAQ

Thanks, i have not checked the wires under the flywheel yet, i have checked the other connections, I found someone with a blownup 88 85 and he said he would sell me all the ignition parts for cheap. I will let you know when i get the flywheel off hopefully in the next couple days.

removed flywheel and inside of flywheel fell apart, trying to find used flywheel now

tater76

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As Jerry said the magnet can and does come loose occasionally. You don't need a new flywheel just epoxy the magnet back in. Unless of course it really is unrepairable.

mbhoag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You mentioned that you bypassed the Tether switch, I assume you mean the emergency cutoff. Just something to check here, I had a friend who did that years ago and he bypassed his cutoff by twisting the wires together to make sure he had a good connection... the only problem with this is that making the connection actually kills the motor by grounding it out!

In order for the motor to run the kill switch circuit must be OPEN. I am sure you already know this, but thought I would throw it out there to keep in mind.

I though about that when i was on the lake the day it woudnt start i had disconnected and hooked back up a couple times, I was ready try about anything that day but i was pretty limited at the boat launch. As far as the magnent goes, the flywheel spun on it and its not looking to good any more, it's cracked in 4 spots, Hopefully thats all it is but i do have another magneto and and all the ignition parts off another 85, one way or another this thing will run again. i hope

just got the time to get back to the boat, got the used flywheel and put it on no spark, changed the magneto, cranked it awhile started up and ran. I was lucky to find a a guy who had a wrecked 85 force that sold me all the parts used. Its running just in time for a couple uses before i got to put it away for the winter? Thanks to all that posted i really apreciated the help.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Good for you! Used parts on these machines are just fine, and now the norm seeing as how old they are getting. Just a work about used parts, take the time to inspect them. Make sure that things like magnets are solidly attached, otherwise, pull them off and epoxy back on. Electrical parts inspect wires for splits and cracks in insulation. Believe me, its been a few years since those parts were new in 1985. Plastic hardens, insulation dries and cracks. Just check them out and make sure the parts are up to snuff before you bolt them on.

Regards,

Mark.

mike mcclearn

Recruit
Im having similar issue with force 85. Bougjt told motor was rebuilt looked new said he lost spark on water. I replaced stator and recitifier thinking problem was there but still no spark

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Im having similar issue with force 85. Bougjt told motor was rebuilt looked new said he lost spark on water. I replaced stator and recitifier thinking problem was there but still no spark

9 year old thread. Start a new thread of your own.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.