Re Prop a mariner 115 outboard (long)

docster

Seaman
I have a 1991 Mariner 115. Its a 2-Stroke. Runs awesome, we have owned it since new. Only thing i would change is the stupid 2-4 cyclinder thing, but my understanding is its the 2 lower carbs that "cause" that and seems expensive to replace those with upper carbs... Anyways, the motor is on a 1992 Procraft 180 Combo. NADA guides lists the boat at 1720lbs, so add fuel (20 gal @ 8lbs/gallon) 160lbs, plus 4 adults (150lbs avg) 600 lbs, that puts us at 2480lbs, on the low end, not counting extra gear if my math is right and specs are correct. Anyway, we mostly do watersports with it. It has an aluminum 19 pitch prop, not sure on the diameter (either 13 or 14 if i had to guess). It wont hold plane even with just me in it at anything under about 22-24. Now i have an Airguide competition ski speedo on it which is dead accurate to my GPS. Since i do a lot of wakeboarding and pulling tubers at 18-19 mph, my wife has to constantly play with the throttle, which eats gas and makes for a lousy ride. Currently the boat will do around 55 with just me on glass trimmed out, but that means nothing to me, i rarely have a need to do over 40. I am planning on doing smart tabs this fall, which should help with plane times and slower speed and handling, but....

Here are my questions:
1. I want to change for a prop with more low end speed control/handling/hole shot, any advice? Still want to do 40-45, but low end is key, looking for that ski boat pop (obviously impossible, but as close as i can) Thinking maybe a 17 in? Im dumb on props, sorry.
2. 3 or 4 blade prop better?
3. How much prop slip can I expect from this engine/prop set up? need that for every calcuator i have seen.
6. Also is the High Five prop any better than a 4 blade?

Extra info. Gear ratio is 2.06:1 and max RPM is around 5200, i currently can hit around 5050-5100
Sorry for lengthy post, but I'm kind of thourough and meticulous.

Thanks in advance! and pics for fun to come.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Re Prop a mariner 115 outboard (long)

A 17" prop would get your RPMs too high. I would put a 4 bladed 19 on it for a better hole shot. But then I'm not familiar with the high 5.

docster

Seaman

ok, looking at the Solas Amita 4, its shows going from a stock 13x19 3-blade to the 12.5x19 4-blade to be the comparision. i want to gain low end, ok if i loose some top end, but want noticeable low end gain. will this work or do i need to go to the 12.5x17 4-blade?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You have covered things very well. But your 55 mph is highly unlikely
My figures using 5000 and a 2.00 ratio disregarding slip and drag no more than 43 if my math is correct. Perhaps you are reading kilometers?
Keep in mind you are probably only doing 40 now.
Any way a 4 blade prop should help solve your problems.A Solas Amita 4 blade. at 18 inches.Should improve hole shot stay on plane at reduced throttle and less fiddling.
Should handle better around the dock.
From my reading the high 5 does best on motors putting out gobs of horse power.

docster

Seaman

ok, now i just have to find the 18 inch 4 blade haha. Yea, i kept seeing that the 55mph was too high for pitch, but could it be because that is a trimmed out speed? Do pitch calculators take that into effect. My boat trims well, and my dad use to get that thing cooking with a killer bass boat rooster tail. Should i test my top speed when i do my run this weekend with the trim all the way down?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

No your max speed should be trimmed for best speed.
Just do the multiplication Rounding down 2.00 gear ratio (2 revolutions of motor to 1 revolution of prop thats 2500 prop rpm at 5000 motor rpm. 2500X 19= 47,500 inches per minute devided by 12 3,791 feet per minute I think you can see that is signifigantly less than the close to a mile a minute you would need to approach 55 mph. And thats disregarding
slip. Your actual speed could likely be 10% less.And your 2.07 ratio would be even less.
There are 17" 4 blades here at iboats one might put you right at 5250 if you end up rpm little high just watch that you don't
run at that for extended times.The solas rubex has a hub adapter; imo you don't need that at this point in your boating.