Avon Redshank Engine Recommendation

rowbos

Recruit
Hi there, I have just acquired a Redshank in very good condition and now need to look for an engine.

I know the maximum recommended engine power is 6HP (according to the label on the boat), what particular engine should I be looking for (used)? 2 Stroke for lower weight presumably? Any particular make or model to look for? Can I go for anything more than 6HP in your opinion? With four people onboard how fast are we going to be able to go?

Cheers,

Steve.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Avon Redshank Engine Recommendation

If that sib has not a rear transom built into the boat, and uses a engine support on back tubes, don't go over max recommended HP, a 2 strokes would be the way to go if available in your area. Check Tohatsu, are well priced and reliable. Definitely don't expect to plane with four mates, probably just 2 and be quite light. That model is for goofing around, not for more proffessional sea outings.

Happy Boating

rowbos

Recruit

Thanks for your response.

I guess I need a standard shaft engine rather than long shaft?

Cheers,

Steve.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Those sibs are for short shaft outboards, will be ok with a 6 HP if that's the max engine you can place on motor mount.

Happy Boating

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

A 4-6hp will work nicely on that boat, in my opinion. Short shaft, yes. A 2 or 4 stroke should both be good, but I would consider the 4 stroke for the quiet and lack of smoke, especially since you and friends will be so close to the motor. I think most in this size range have thru-hub exhaust. If you have a West Marine store nearby, you can check out Mercury in person. Good value, and often on sale....figure $1500+ for a 6hp, 4 stroke.

Larry

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

4 strokes are excellent but bear in mind that the Avon has a engine mount at back, it's not the same as having a tramsom built as in standard sibs that holds more weight and engine does not rock when giving gas, if weight is not that excesive between 2 and 4 strokes, buy the one that most pleases you. If going for Mercury 6 HP , maybe can save some $$ going for same Tohatsu version which is the Japanese manufacturer for Mercury portable engines.

Happy Boating

likalar

Petty Officer 1st Class

4 strokes are excellent but bear in mind that the Avon has a engine mount at back, it's not the same as having a tramsom built as in standard sibs that holds more weight and engine does not rock when giving gas, if weight is not that excesive between 2 and 4 strokes, buy the one that most pleases you. If going for Mercury 6 HP , maybe can save some $$ going for same Tohatsu version which is the Japanese manufacturer for Mercury portable engines.

Happy Boating

Good advise....I had a larger Tohatsu on a big Zodiac for several years...never skipped a beat...
Larry

rowbos

Recruit

Thanks for all the feedback, now to go shopping...