New Motor-What Year and model

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I know this is the johnson/evinrude forum but I bought a sea king I believe to be a gale/OMC product. I bought this motor for 20$ and I cant find a model # or serial #. the faded tank decal says 3.0 hp at 3500 rpm. it is an opposed twin cylinder and has large plugs. there is no recoil starter just the wrap around. If anyone can decipher what model and year I have it would be great as my research shows no opposed twin 3hp Montgomery Wards.

nwcove

Admiral
Re: New Motor-What Year and model

.......or post pics, some of the guys here can probably narrow down your find by just looking at it.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok I cant get my pictures to load, but i found a cast number under the powerhead of 101923 but i have not found that as a model number on the internet machine. any help is appreciated.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok got a picture to load. I am thinking it might be a 1939-1941 but not for sure. any input on year or model would be great.:)View attachment 108842

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

If you can't see the picture in the post after posting, it didn't work. Reread the instructions.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok third times a charm, hopefullyView attachment 108941. I found the number on a core plug that is 449 3917 but cannot find info based on them.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ya Ive tried and tried with the help of JB and the instructions, but with no luck. I did find out it is a 1939 sea king 3hp. If anyone knows where I can get the coil for this motor it would be great.:)

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Evinrude made a number of Sea King models. From,I think 1 hp to 21 hp.
A 3 hp appeared in 39 449/Sea King #8766 Some years there was a 3 in Deluxe and standard.
Very likely the standard had no recoil and Deluxe had a recoil.
As I understad it you need to post a pic at a hosting site and link to it.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey thanks for the info steelespike. I finally got it running but need to reclean the carb as the first float i made flaked.