2001 Bayliner Capri 2150 (first boat) - list of questions/issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

connolk

Recruit
Appologies if some/all of these questions have been answered previously.
New to forums (not just this one) and even using the Advanced Search I could not find answers to my questions.....

I rencently purchased a 2001 Bayliner Capri 2150.
It's be great, but as expected with a boat of this age there are a couple of gremlins!
To date I have had to swap out the engine coil (didn't even know what an engine coil was before that) and more recently the steering cable (after a quote of over $500 I decided it was time to man up and take the plunge).
I also had the Gimbal bearing replaced (by a mechanic as it seemed a little more than I was willing to bite off).

The remaining gremlins include:
1. The buzzer sounds for low oil and/or oil temp when these are well within limits. Where should I start (sensors? wires?). And are there any scehmatics for these?
2. Cannot set the clock. Super minor I know, but it has become a conquest as I've never met a clock to date I couldn't set.
3. How do you remove the gauge console? I was just going to disconnect the VERY loud, VERY annoying alarm to solve issue 1 above.

To do list in the coming weeks:
1. Distributor cap
2. Plugs
3. Plug wires

Anything else I should be considering?!

Any advice, tips, help, general comments greatly appreciated!!

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 2001 Bayliner Capri 2150 (first boat) - list of questions/issues

i can only help with one of these... i have the same boat ! mine has been fantastic with no issues except the dang buzzer.

climb under the dash locate a small black thing zip tied to a wire. its about the size of a quarter. cut the wire going to it. --also note the buzzer buzzes for three things. engine temp. engine oil pressure. and outdrive fluid level. so make sure you check the outdrives level.

one thing to add to your list is changing the oil. if it doesnt have one..install the quicksilver quickdrain kit at the same time. mine came with one and i wouldnt have another boat without it.

connolk

Recruit

Thanks for the info Rowlex! I and going to give this a try later today.

Is an oil change straight forward.
Probably a silly question, but keep in mind this is my first boat, but how do you do this?!
I've done it on a car......but where is the bung on a boat, and where does the oil flow to?
I take it the boat has to be out of the water?

Is this the correct kit: http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingStore/browse_detail3.cfm/productID/44827.cfm

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

if you have any trouble finding the buzzer i can take a picture of it!

I always trailer my boats so.. I've always had land to help me.

The recommended way to change the oil is to buy a pump kit and pump the engine oil out through the dipstick hole. I failed miserably at this so what I use to do...
1. remove the wood thing that goes around the lower part of the engine
2. get a big thick garbage bag
3. wrench that fits the dipstick connector @ the oil pan and undo it
4. all the oil drains into the garbage bag... when its done remove the bag very carefully. one time i did this (old boat) the bag caught/ripped on something and made a mess.
5. new bag remove and drain oil filter.

THIS would be a good time to install the quicksilver drain kit. My new boat had one already installed so I have not had to install it. I used the bag trick on my prior boat every time.

^^of coarse at some point here you would want to put the dipstick bolt back in..

that is what my kit looks like. however it is installed on the very bottom of the oil pan. I would check around your oil pan to see if you have a drain bolt... my old boat did not so i was forced to remove the dipstick thing @ the oil pan.

sorry i dont know much about the 2150 oil pan yet.

the bag trick would work in the water or not..the quicksilver drain kit might work in the water but i think its designed to feed out the drain plug hole.

if you dont know the maintenance records for the boat, a drain/refill of the outdrive would be the second thing I did (was the first thing i did on my 2150).

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

on an additional note. At one point I was thinking of using a beer bong to aid in draining the oil. I did not get a chance to try it but I think it would work. funnel part of the bong under the drain screw/dipstick thing, and run the tube out of the drain plug (assuming your trailered) into a container.

I failed miserably at pumping the oil out. I think i spent 30$ on the pump contraption so I tried never to have to attempt that again.

connolk

Recruit

A picture of the buzzer would be great, thanks!

Also....I seem to have high oil temp!
Are these engines water cooled (see....I am very new to all this)??

I think a service (by a qualified mechanic) is probably in order......
I'll have a look round this weekend to see if I can take a stab at changing the oil.
It sounds fairly straight forward, if a little frustrating!

That bag story made me crack a smile!
Must have been a ball ache at the time but makes for a good story!

Thanks again for all your continued assistance!
It is MUCH appreciated!

Now I am off to try to chance the locking mechanism on my 911!
Old Porsches and old boats = NOT good financial investments!

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually already had a pic of it!
DSCN0686.jpg

the black thing on the right is the buzzer. Make SURE to check your outdrive fluid level. That is a possible reason the buzzer is going off. On my boat I had changed the motor oil, and changed the outdrive fluid. so I was absolutly certain the outdrive had enough oil in it and the sensor must have been the culprit. There is a large flathead screw on the upper portion left hand side(if your behind the outdrive looking at the prop). that is the level indicator. outdrive needs to be all the way down pop the screw off and make sure the level is right at that hole.

Oil temp=motor temp, mine runs at 175* F when running. Yes they are water cooled. it depends on the motor and options wether or not it has a fresh water cooling system or if it sucks up the lake/ocean water and runs it through the motor. My boat has an orca system on it which runs anti-freeze through the block and sucks up lake/salt water and runs it through a heat exchanger to cool the motor. if it looks like this:

DSCN0659.jpg

the "orca" thing is the heat exchanger the anti-freeze is the green resivour in the back. if you have that check and make sure the green stuff is at the proper level. if all checks out and the motor still runs too hot..it could be a bad thermostat or the impeller(water pump that sucks water into the motor through the outdrive) may need to be replaced. I haven't ever had any problems with mine, but from what i understand on these alpha outdrives you have to take the lower part of the outdrive off to switch it out.

everything on these boats is a ball ache LOL. But it's worth it! I've kept very low maintenance bills and had many great times on the boats.

How many hours are on your boat?

I've actually had incredibly good look picking out my boats!! I've barely spent any money on the upkeep of them. My motorcycles and cars are a completly different bad financial purchase :) that being said, good luck with the porche!!! I bet it's fun...turbo?

OK...so maintenance wise the boats have been cheap.....the problem here was letting my girlfriend drive. and it was the most expensive repair i have done yet (did it myself).
prop.jpg

since I have my photobucket open gonna throw this in :) he was nice and we did not get a ticket!
252613_220083501355185_100000606097938_821733_4857150_n.jpg

no problem for the help. it's nice to be able to give back to the community. I have gotten a lot of help from this board.

connolk

Recruit

You are in Seattle?!
We moore our boat at Yarrow bay and live in Kirkland.
We'll bea heading out on Lake Washington to enjoy some of this weather in about an hour!

I am afraid the back of my console does not look like that!
The engine oil temp has become more significant.
It creeps up to max if we gun it, but it is ok at cruising speeds!
I'll check all the levels, but feel an impellor service is probably in order!
I'll do an oil change myself, at the same time I do the plugs, distributor cap and leads (maybe tomorrow....)

My engine looks identical to yours, but without the ORCA!
Although I do have that green reservoir (initally thought it was the steering fluid reservoir...)

I think there are 200 or 300 hours on the boat.
There is an LCD that tells me, but I can't remember.....
All these jobs are daunting, but once you actually get stuck in it is really quite rewarding.

BTW.....what oil should I be using, and do you know how many quarts I need?

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats pretty funny yes I am living in W. Seattle I moved from kirkland 4 months ago. Hope you had fun on the lake(I hate how its always really choppy)! We ran around vashon island yesterday and the week before that we ran around blake island. The puget sound has so far been great smooth water.

even tho the back looks different it might be the same style buzzer.

Ya, sounds like your impeller could need replacing. it certainly wouldn't hurt to replace the thermostat first(might be easier/cheaper) and possibly fix it. IIRC 150-200hours and your suppose to replace the impeller. I have 160 hours on mine and it holds temp with no problem.

let me know how the plugs go that is next on my list. Quite strange you have a green resivor and no orca. can you throw up a pic of your motor? I am curious now...

When I get home tonight ill let you know the oil I used. I went to a marine shop and got everything the counter/tech guy suggested for my boat.

how much is moorage? I was highly considering it before I bought a truck but I couldnt find anywhere that didnt force a year lease.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK yes, that is the drain kit. If you can shove that thing out the drain plug in the stern than great. I couldnt. But the threads on the other end of that hose are exactly the same as the threads on the electric pump I bought for $15. Also a remote filter kit is a must in my opinion. It relocates the oil filter right up top in front of one of your heat exchangers.

If you are not sure if the outdrive oil has been changed, I would suggest that too. You need an adapter to thread into the fill hole in the outdrive and the other end is a pump that goes into the bottle of fluid. I think that was like $10. Also, if it has a water seperator and you do not know if its been changed recently, then do that too. If it does not have one, then install one. Cheap insurance. I change my oil and my water seperator twice a year and the outdrive at the beginning of spring.

Did they do the impeller while they were in there doing the gimbal bearing? How about the bellows? Seems like common sense to do these while you are in there, but some shops do not.

So regular maintanance
1. oil and filter
2. plugs wires cap rotor
3. outdrive oil
4. water seperator filter
5. thermostat if you are concerned about the temp
6. bellows if they havent been done. Boat is 10 years old and they can sink your boat
7. Impeller

These are all the things I would do, just to be on the safe side. If you havent physically done them yourself or had them done since you got it, then I would go on the assumption that they were not done recently. Unless of course you have receipts from the PO.

rowlex

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sierra marine 25w40 is what i got for motor oil. used almost the whole 5 qts

Cookelow

Recruit
I too have 5.0 mercruiser, almost identical to the one you have talked about. I don't have the overflow resevoir on my Orca heat exchanger towards the back of the engine. It has been overflowing directly into the bilge area every time I run it. Am I supposed to have this overflow resevoir to equalize the pressure and keep it from overflowing? I lose about 1/4 gallon every time I go out.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I too have 5.0 mercruiser, almost identical to the one you have talked about. I don't have the overflow resevoir on my Orca heat exchanger towards the back of the engine. It has been overflowing directly into the bilge area every time I run it. Am I supposed to have this overflow resevoir to equalize the pressure and keep it from overflowing? I lose about 1/4 gallon every time I go out.

Don't expect any answers from the posters in this thread - They no longer visit after 9 years. Start a new thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.