I'm new to this sea foam formula..

fishkilla22

Cadet
I have always had mercury outboards and always ran marvel mystery oil in the 50:1 mix. Haven't had any issues but am considering the sea foam. Which one has a better reputation for added protection and lube for a gas/oil mixture.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: I'm new to this sea foam formula..

Either one improves performance by lightening your wallet.

Good fresh fuel, good oil, properly mixed can't be beat.

Sea foam, in a concentration that's hard on neighbors, is good for decarboning. See the FAQ section.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

MMO is a lubricant. You already have lubricant that is either injected or pre-mixed with the fuel. It is not a fuel system treatment. SeaFoam is not a lubricant but rather a fuel system treatment and a great decarb agent for two stroke engines. MMO and SeaFoam are used for totally different purposes. MMO by the way, came on the scene many years ago as an upper cylinder lubricant for FOUR STROKE engines. It was poured into a container under the hood and sucked into the intake manifold via an adjustable needle valve so you could just trickle the stuff in or if the skeeters were bad that summer, open the needle valve and smoke ;em out.

1nebel0

Chief Petty Officer

Martin is correct...got turned into the homeowners association for too much Sea Foaming..I do it to all of my cars and all of my boats..Do not do it with car or outboard facing garage door..You will be dealing with the wife on top of the board...My neighbors want to call the air resouce board on me..Welcome to California!

j_martin

Admiral

Maybe we should have a thread, "Bad things happen when SeaFoam ......."

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

Great decarb etc, but not a lubricant. I run 2 oz. with every 6 gallons of gas/pre mix.I ran my truck with seafoam on a regular basis in my oil and in my gas tank.After 275,000 miles she got tired.Tore her apart she was the cleanest motor on the inside you couldnt tell she was 275000 miles old but the bearings went out.So Seafoam is by no means a guarantee your motor will last forever but good stuff.

j_martin

Admiral

Great decarb etc, but not a lubricant. I run 2 oz. with every 6 gallons of gas/pre mix.I ran my truck with seafoam on a regular basis in my oil and in my gas tank.After 275,000 miles she got tired.Tore her apart she was the cleanest motor on the inside you couldnt tell she was 275000 miles old but the bearings went out.So Seafoam is by no means a guarantee your motor will last forever but good stuff.

SeaFoam is a good solvent and penetrant. You don't want a penetrant in bearings, you want film strength.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I have all kinds of engines on my farm including this boat engine thing. I was introduced to Sea Foam on this site back in '05. Since then, I use it in all my 2 cycle engines and other things in my 4 cycle gas engines and 4 cycle diesel tractors.

My mix ratio is to open the can and start pouring. When I feel that I have added enough, I quit pouring and replace the cap. I usually only put in 5 gallons of gas as my Merc has the oil tank and pump onboard and is really fuel efficient and I don't stay out that long on an outing....3 - 4 laps at WOT, 15 or so minutes of fishing, 3 -4 more laps at WOT and load up and come home. Haven't had a fuel problem on any 2 cycle engine on the place since using it and I resurrected a couple of what I thought to be dead weed eaters with it....great stuff.

Mark

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Gomer 50

Hey man, your wake is just about as tight as mine. I took my Avatar with my cell phone camera at 52 mph on my little puke 17' alum boat with the 3 cyl. 90 hp.

Mark

Gomer50

Chief Petty Officer

My avatar is a 15 foot fiberglass trihull Marlin with a 78 inline 6 90hp doing 43MPH @ 5000 rpm. GPS.

DSC01166.jpgDSC01177.jpg

Dont let the cowl markings fool ya.This is a motor that was put together from all kinds of motors.

Absolutely correct ...You don't want a penetrant in bearings, you want film strength.