OMC Ball Gears

floattest

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have read in other posts that the ball gears should be replaced as a set.

On my 1979 800, I am replacing the upper with a unit that is assembled and has a new ball gear.

I wasn't going to work on the intermediate and its current ball gear. I would say that the amount of wear is approximately 15%. The ball gear on the imtermediate is in good shape. The ball gear on the upper unit side that is getting replaced was worn about 40 percent.

Is it required to replace both gears? I don't see it mentioned that it's required in the manual.

What are the risks if I don't replace the ball gear on the intermediate side?

Thanks,
FT

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer
Re: OMC Ball Gears

The BEST thing is to replace them in pairs, that way they break in together and wear the best they can. BUT you don't HAVE to change them in pairs.

you will notice they might be a little noisier, and they will probably wear faster. but you can run mismatched gears. (personally I would change them both its easy enough)

to change the gear is pretty easy. pull the cap off the nut undo a nut and pull the gear off (might take a little effort) then putit back together. remember to fill the void in with ultra black or similar. and put a new cap back on.

If you do change it, when you put them back on, be careful with the seals. remember there are TWO back to back seals. (one seals stuff in one seals stuff out)

Good luck!

NW Redneck

Chief Petty Officer

^^^ What he said. Mismatched ball gears will probably be noisier and will wear quicker than matched sets. Unless there is a large difference in the amount of wear (eg: one @ 10%, one @ 30%) you should be ok, but a large difference can cause excessive vibrations that could cause damage. Like the wiz said, changing the intermediate gear isn't hard and I would seriously consider changing it too.

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

What you really have to think about. if you have the drive off. SERIOUSLY it is only ONE MORE NUT to remove to change the ball gear.... I'd change it while you are in there. just because it is so easy.

floattest

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, ordered the parts. Gonna replace the Intermediate side ball gear. Also the seal for the steering gear shaft seems to be leaking a bit of oil, so going to replace that too. Also going to replace the rubber boot. I've got the sterndrive off, may as well fix some of this stuff. What is the right sealer for the rubber boot?

I would tell you all what I'm doing but you'd probably think I'm crazy.

Suffice it to say that my dollars per hour ratio is going the wrong direction!