Installing engine alarm kit

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I bought the kit and was wondering if I could just connect to the back of the temp gage that already comes from a sensor, instead of installing another sensor/wire from the motor. Wouldn't I be accomplishing the same thing?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Installing engine alarm kit

1) We have no idea what alarm kit you have. 2) You cannot connect another circuit to the sensor for the temp gauge. Doing so would add a parallel resistance and therefore make the gauge reading inaccurate. 3) The alarm kit probably has a temperature SWITCH rather than a temp SENDER. They are different. A temp SWITCH is nothing more than a switch that closes at a specified temperature so as to warn of an overheat. A temp SENSOR is a variable resistance device that changes resistance based on the engine temperature -- hence the variable reading on the gauge. So NO! You do not parallel this wiring. Install the kit using the included instructions.

Darol Wester

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Installing engine alarm kit

The Cole Hersee kit for temp and oil. Seems to be the one most everybody's using. Thanks for the info. That's just what I wanted to know. Very well put.