1996 reinell 184brxl fuel guage only registers from half full and down

walla2

Cadet
i bought my boat about a month ago and when i fill it up with gas it only reads about 1/2 tank and then goes down . i really hate not knowing how much fuel i actually have. any suggestions.

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1996 reinell 184brxl fuel guage only registers from half full and down

It sounds like there may be a problem with the sending unit. The sending unit shoulg have a float of sorts that rises and falls with the fuel level. If you can get to it, you might check to make sure there's not something keeping that float from reaching the top of the tank when it's full. If it is, there may be something more wrong with the sending unit itself.

That said, it is probably smart to rule out your gauge first as a problem down in the tank will be much harder to deal with. You could order a cheap replacement fuel gauge and install it. If it fixes it, you're done! If it does the same thing, you know the problem is down in the tank in the sending unit. You can just return the gauge at that point and concentrate on the real problem.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1996 reinell 184brxl fuel guage only registers from half full and down

There are over 100 posts on fuel gauge issues including a sticky at the top of the forum that shows you how to search. It even uses "Fuel Gauge" as the example. Many of those posts have diagrams and troubleshooting information.