3.0 LX / Alpha One Gen II

BamaGunner

Cadet
For those that recognize me, I have been looking around at different boats, trying to get one for the family. Well, I finally got one! Its a 24' Harris FloteBote, in a little rough shape, but nothing too serious. Mainly fabric stuff. It floats, that much I know, as its still on the water at a friends house. Cant complain about the price either. Freebie! Heres the deal:

I asked about the boat a few months back, and all I could get from him was that he thought it was a 3.0L boat. He didnt want to part with it then, so I left it at that and told him if he ever wanted to part with it, let me know. The other day, he told the GF it was ours, just had to figure out the motor.

Well, I had a rare day off today, and went and just took a quick look under the seats. From what I gather, this is a 90-94 3.0 LX engine, with an Alpha One Gen II outdrive. (See pic below for flame arrestor pic) The bilge has a few inches of water sitting in it, but nowhere close to the engine, but none the less, its clean in there. No oily residue and such, as I have found in my other searches for a boat. Bonus there. Pulled the dipstick, and it was wayyyy overfull. Im talking like 3/4 the way up the dipstick overfull. It has the milky look to it like water has been introduced. (See pic below) Took a sniff, and I could smell a little gas in it, but its typical smell for boat oil, to me anyway. The rest of the engine, other than the cobwebs on it, looked to be in nice shape, no rusty looking parts, etc etc. This boat has spent the majority of its life on the water, even through the cold months. He lives on the lake, and has had no reason to pull it out.

I have read quite a few posts on here about water in the oil horror stories, but then a few that come out to be ok, just a fluke. I have gone through the DIY section, even printed out the mercruiser service bulletin for water intrusion, and read it through a few times. Unfortunately, the boat doesnt have a trailer with it, so I cant just up and pull it out of the water. From what little I know about it, and have presented here, do you think I have a chance? I am keeping my eyes out for a donor motor, in a cheap price range, just in case, but I dont mind putting a little money at it, such as changing oil on it and such, to see where I sit. As I said, it is always in the water, and has a large compartment around the engine. We live in Alabama. The temps get cold here for a while, but nothing that I would call serious. (Im born and raised from Nebraska) Any ideas, suggestions, etc.?

2011-08-17_12-34-55_849.jpg2011-08-17_12-31-41_46.jpg

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 3.0 LX / Alpha One Gen II

Drain the oil and add fresh then try getting her started for one. If you succeed run for a bit and check it then drain again and re- fill untill milky reminants are gone @ that point a full tune up is in order then keep a close eye on it.

cr2k

Captain

Do a compression check, this will tell you a lot. 3.0 problems stem from abuse lack of service and can be; blown head gasket (if you are lucky) cracked block (if you are not) or even a cracked head (not as bad as block). Also could be an exhaust manifold that is rusted thru internally.

BamaGunner

Cadet

Plan on doing a compression check one of my next days off, after I get the oil swapped out for cleaner, and checking it over a little more. Im hoping I get lucky and it be something, actually anything other than a block issue. Get it running, and then off to the maintenance issues such as impeller and such... when flushing the oil, can a guy use anything cheap to flush it, or should a guy stick with the recommended 25w40?