5.0l GXI Volvo Wont rev over 3000rpm until plaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

weston kuenzl

Recruit
My 5.0l ran perfect when i stored it last season and first trip out this spring it was doggy and woundnt rev over 3000rpm until boat was up and plaining but still wouldnt reach peak rpm. I changed spark plugs and didnt help. I ran injector cleaner and didnt help. then i changed fuel filter and still didnt help. The motor does purge a little over 3000 rpm on take off sometimes but comes back until plain

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 5.0l GXI Volvo Wont rev over 3000rpm until plaining

You need to check the entire fuel system, from pump pressures to the fuel pickup in the tank. What year? The pump checks need to be when the engine is under a load or in the water, not just hooked to the "muffs" in the driveway. Is the fuel pump(s) making a loud whining noise?

maraco

Recruit

I have a 5.0 that has the same issue....did you ever resolve it? ....what was the issue?.....

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maraco, you should start your own thread. Not trying to be a d*** about it, just that you will get more results that way. I doubt the issue was resolved since the original post was dated the same day you posted your question. Both of you need to do the fuel system tests, you can find the manuals for the engines in the adults only section at the top of page, the procedure is in them. The bottom line is no one that has a fuel injected Volvo wants to admit that their 800 dollar fuel pump is bad, which seems to be the case in about 90% of these situations. Which is why you need to do the tests, you don't want to be in the 10% bracket where the pump isn't the culprit yet it was replaced needlessly.

0352Marine

Seaman Apprentice

My 5.0l ran perfect when i stored it last season and first trip out this spring it was doggy and woundnt rev over 3000rpm until boat was up and plaining but still wouldnt reach peak rpm. I changed spark plugs and didnt help. I ran injector cleaner and didnt help. then i changed fuel filter and still didnt help. The motor does purge a little over 3000 rpm on take off sometimes but comes back until plain

I would check the fuel pressure first. If the fuel pump is bad instead of replacing it with the $800 OEM pump you might consider installing a inline fuel pump. Most drag cars use them. Correctly installed it should be just as good and save you alot of $. I'm sure there are those that disagree for boat applications but most drag boats use them as well.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

Problem will be the return line. It's an EFI setup, has a low pressure pump that fills a reservoir (that is cooled with water) and the HP pump draws from that. Goes to the EFI setup and then has a return to the pump. So it's not that simple. Marine manufactures haven't put the pumps or return lines in the tanks like the automotive world, probably because of the tendency for water to end up in the gas tanks of our floats. Comparing something for use in a drag racing environment to something that goes in a typical boat is kind of, well, asinine. Those only have to work for portions of a minute. Boat pump has to function for hours on end in a some very harsh environments, sometimes without sight of any land, without the rescue crews around that are there in the racing circuit. And be USCG approved to boot.

0352Marine

Seaman Apprentice

Problem will be the return line. It's an EFI setup, has a low pressure pump that fills a reservoir (that is cooled with water) and the HP pump draws from that. Goes to the EFI setup and then has a return to the pump. So it's not that simple. Marine manufactures haven't put the pumps or return lines in the tanks like the automotive world, probably because of the tendency for water to end up in the gas tanks of our floats. Comparing something for use in a drag racing environment to something that goes in a typical boat is kind of, well, asinine. Those only have to work for portions of a minute. Boat pump has to function for hours on end in a some very harsh environments, sometimes without sight of any land, without the rescue crews around that are there in the racing circuit. And be USCG approved to boot.

So the drag boats and endurance race boats do not have to comply with the USCG regulations hmmm I think they have to comply with more stringent regs by the APBA(American Power Boat Association) than USCG requires. Anyways not going to get into a pissing contest and never said it would be simple, but you can install a hp inline fuel pump that would draw from the cooled fuel CORRECTLY installed. And this would be cheaper and in my opinion just as good as OEM.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually, you can buy just the HP pump, its about 250 bucks. Adapting another one, it's kind of a funky setup, would take some doing. I think the USCG _)states that it has to be mounted on the engine (I could be wrong about that) so that kind of limits what you can do. I think they would last longer if they were mounted away from the heat and vibration. But just replacing the HP pump you have to ask why it failed. Is it because the LP pump isn't working right, are you getting air in the lines, is the cooling passage clogged? The tests need to be done to properly diagnose the issue, whether or not they stay with the factory pump or use something else. If you could come up with a suitable solution you would be a hero to a lot of people....Prior to 2000 they had a setup where the two pumps were in seperate locations, and both were replaceable, wish they had stuck with that setup.

0352Marine

Seaman Apprentice

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AEI-11108/

Here is what I'm talking about for half the price oh and at the bottom it says:
These new Aeromotive pumps are the only pumps in the world engineered to flow this kind of volume (over 800 lbs./hr. at 13.5 V and 45 psi!), at pressures from carburetor to EFI, with the built-in durability to survive over 2,000 hours of continuous run time. These pumps are certified to ISO 8846, SAE J1171, and United States Coast Guard requirements for ignition protection and fire resistance. Meet the toughest, most versatile and powerful fuel pumps ever offered to the marine industry.

Warranty

pretty much common sense to me oh and "compliant"

0352Marine

Seaman Apprentice

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-712-801-1/

here is a cheaper version and you don't need a regulator with this one
These Red electric marine fuel pumps from Holley flow at 67 gph at 5 psi. The pressure is preset at 7 psi, and they don't require a regulator. These lightweight pumps feature an externally accessible pressure relief valve, and they are more tolerant of contaminated fuels. These pumps meet U.S. Coast Guard regulations, so you can have all that Holley power on the water and still be legal.

Now this is for carbs but you get my drift.

I really don't reply to a thread unless I know what I'm talking about, so Weston you can install a better, cheaper aftermarket holley pump that you will still be compilant with the law. Just be sure you install it correctly and test for any leaks before going out. The holley pump should give your engine all the fuel it needs to run like a champ and then some. Besides my engine has one for my holley carb and it runs great now. The factory pump was not working properly either. It was working, just not enough at high RPMs. Hopefully this will solve your problem and you'll be back on the lake enjoying yourself. Good luck keep me posted.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

None of the pumps holley makes in the marine line will work on his GXi, they don't put out near the pressure required for the EFI to work. That aeromotive pump will, it's a nice piece by the way, but add in the cost of adapting it and I'll bet you get close to a new fuel assembly. They can be found for about 650 if you shop around and have time to order one.

Status
Not open for further replies.