something growing on my boat hull, what is it?

ziggy

Admiral
So I go to the lake last weekend. splash about noon on Sat. I stay in the water till noon on Sun. I was boating most of the day and some of the night. I tie up to the dock and let my boat sit overnight in the water. Got back out on the water early Sun. Boated till noon then load up for home.
So in this amount of time, this is what i got...

017-1.jpg

019-2.jpg

021.jpg

Does anyone know what that stuff is?
It was kinda rubbery to peel off when it was wet just coming out of the lake. It stayed together like a sheet when peeled off. When it dried, I used a plastic bondo applicator to scrape off the hard part, then needed to use the green scratchy pad side of a sponge on one side, green scratchy pad on the other. It did clean off, but was adhered to the boat pretty good.

I'm just wondering what kinda foul stuff is in my local lake i frequent.. or maybe if i should be letting dnr know about it if it's something unusual.

edit. This stuff was mostly on the non dock side of the boat. The side that was tied to the dock got much less of this stuff on it, but still did have some.

Last edited:

Willyclay

Captain
Re: something growing on my boat hull, what is it?

.. or maybe if i should be letting dnr know about it if it's something unusual.

I say "yes" because of all the water quality issues these days and the growing number of invasive species on the loose!

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Looks like somebody blew their nose on your boat! LOL Was it organic? What lake? (I'm not going there...)

relocyo

Chief Petty Officer

Not trying to be gross, but it kinda looks like fecal bacteria... But that growth seems pretty fast, if anyone went swimming are their any ear aches with anyone? sorta one of the tell tale signs... Sorry to be a party pooper (no, well, a little pun intended) hopefully im wrong... Good luck!

soggy_feet

Senior Chief Petty Officer

theres all sorts of little crawly things that float around in the water. most of them need something solid to attach their eggs/larvae to. Doubt its anything to worry about past scraping it off.

ziggy

Admiral

thanks for the comments folks....

I say "yes" because of all the water quality issues these days
i'm still considering it.. specially since dnr is 2 blocks from me.. maybe three.
Looks like somebody blew their nose on your boat!
i'm pretty sure that's not it...:facepalm:
Was it organic? What lake?
pretty sure it was... lake is under my avatar.
it kinda looks like fecal bacteria... But that growth seems pretty fast, if anyone went swimming are their any ear aches with anyone?
could be. did a little looking on line and looks like fecal bacteria is microscopic though best i could tell. we did swim in the lake this last weekend. not there, but on that lake. no one got sick. many folks in the water doing water sports all day long. i didn't hear of anyone getting sick.
theres all sorts of little crawly things that float around in the water. most of them need something solid to attach their eggs/larvae to
that i believe. they found something. the bottom of my boat.
Doubt its anything to worry about past scraping it off.
that's mostly where i'm at. that's what i did about it was scrap it off.

still would be kinda nice to know what it is though... there was a local lake report last week in the paper. no lakes were considered a problem at this time in the whole state of NE. kinda odd too. usually we have toxic blue green algae problems this time of year in some lake. branched oak sometimes. but if ya can believe the paper. all is good.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Looks to me like you sailed through a 1950's, Sci Fi 'B' movie and scraped some skin off the radiation-enhanced creature that will come visit you later tonight. Just my opinion, mind you...