2009 Nissan NSF8A3 Vibration/Noise

Traxion

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a 2009 Nissan NSF8A3 that I use as a kicker motor on my walleye boat. I've probably got around 200 hrs. on the motor. I have slowly developed a vibration at certain throttle positions as the motor has aged. There has been a bit more noise that has showed up as well. I recently switched from the factory 3 blade to a 4 blade for higher thrust. This prop causes less vibration (expected with a 4 blade) but there is now a funny whine or whistle at certain throttle openings. The noise is coming from the cowling/engine area. I don't even know where to start looking for the noise. I've gone through and checked all nuts/bolts/etc. for tightness. The only thing I think may cause a bit of an issue is the motor mounts are pretty soft compared to what they were when new. All the riding around in the tilted position on rough water has fatigued the rubber a bit I think. This is about all I can come up with when it comes to the vibration, but the noise is a mystery. Any help here? Thanks!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 2009 Nissan NSF8A3 Vibration/Noise

Vibration could be caused by anything. The noise is probably from the belt. The engine runs so quietly that noise from the belt can be heard at some RPM points.

Traxion

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The noise is the main thing. I wondered about the belt. I might just change it out this fall, I should be around 250 hrs. by then and it will need it anyway. Thanks!

pvanv

Admiral

If the whine or howl is around 2,000 RPM, (not at idle, not at high speeds) you are likely experiencing an intake harmonic. As Elvin noted, because the motor is so quiet, you can hear those minor sounds.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The noise is the main thing. I wondered about the belt. I might just change it out this fall, I should be around 250 hrs. by then and it will need it anyway. Thanks!

I wouldn't necessarly change the belt out that soon. Unless something is causing premature wear, they will last up to and over 1000 hours.