motor running problems

1991mustanggt

Recruit
Hi this is my first time on here so bear with me please. I have a 1978 mercury outbouard 850 Hp lower unit was rebuilt. carbs rebuilt. gas tank was tanked and clean along with the rest of the fuel lines. new fuel pump. has a new stator.new control cables. problem i am having is the motor runs great when it is fired up. Soon as you put it in gear forward or reverse motor dies .ideal is set perfect. so we disconected both cables and tried to shift manual to elimanate control box but soon as you **** it it dies.we had it in a 100 gal tank. and on muffs did same thing. can some one out there please help me already in about $800 on repairs still dont run right.Thanks Bill

mrallen007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: motor running problems

Welcome! No worries man. Just bear with us as we try to help. :)

I can't help but think that with all that work done you may want to make sure your timing, mixture, and adjustments are all done properly. Most manuals will have the information you need to set all your adjustments as needed. Double check your linkage between your throttle and carbs too. Make sure they are opening correctly as you apply the throttle. I've run into that one myself.

I'm not an outboard expert, but I've had enough experience to see that resetting some of the basic timing and adjustments can fix all sorts of things. Keep us posted.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Bill, The motor dies when you shifted it on the flusher? That is different. I have only a guess as to where to look. You looked to make sure there are no wires in the shifter slider area?

Normally they will shift when on flusher, but die in the water when shifted. That is due to a too lean idle mixture.

1991mustanggt

Recruit

yes the mechanic has set it to factory specs. any more adjusting and its to high. he is a mercury outbouard tec. with a boating outfit and he is stumped. so any help from you guys can help me. Also were do you think I might find a manual at cant find one on ebay. Do yo know of a web site that might have one that you can pull up and look at for trouble shooting . 1978 mercury 850 El. Dont know if it is electrical or spark .....