Alpha 1 Shift Problem and Neutral Lock?

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
merc1.jpgmerc2.jpgmerc3.jpg

I have a 1989 Alpha 1 with a 5.7 Merc. I have several problems going on here, all related to shifting. I have attached three photo's showing neutral, Idle and finally open throttle. i also have this on video working.

1. The shifter itself, 90-4200091A Works smoothly except, to engage forward you have to squeeze the trigger and it goes into gear. However, you can pull all the way back to neutral and then into reverse without squeezing the trigger. I guess this would be in the box, like a bad idle lock washer thingy? I have the parts breakdown, and it looks like the two pieces that would could be damaged are the lock ring and the retainer. Guess's?

2. The engine idles fine, around 680 with a photo tach. I can only find the in-gear idle of 650. In gear, it idle's at 650, but when I put it in Neutral, it idles at 850-900. The only way to get it back to 650, is to turn the engine off and restart it. There seems to be no interference in the cables or idle screws. Thoughts?

3.When I am at 650 and shift into gear, I listen for, but do not hear the slight interruption of the switch.With the other things going on, I cant tell if I have a problem there.

So, is this an adjustment issue with a replacement part in the control box or something worse. Intermediate cable? Hopefully I have given enough information to solve this.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha 1 Shift Problem and Neutral Lock?

The switch ONLY WORKS coming out of gear in the water. Any other time it means the lower cable needs replacement

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... #1, that's in the controller...

#2, Is there cable pressure pre-load against the idle screw on the carb,..??

#3, it only happens coming Out of gear, In the water...

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,... #1, that's in the controller...

#2, Is there cable pressure pre-load against the idle screw on the carb,..??

#3, it only happens coming Out of gear, In the water...

1. Take the control box apart? Have done Yamaha, it stunk but was cheaper. How bad is Merc?
2. Yes, the is pressure on pre-load against the idle screw.
3. Ok, Number 3 is on hold for now.
4. Why would I replace the lower cable?

Sorry, Mercruiser is greek to me.

Thanks

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

someone should be turning the prop doing that test to make sure the dogs are fully locked.
Assuming the video is showing excessive travel from the control box, lower the adjustable stud a bit .
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hsa2.pdf
This link shows how to adjust it.

cr2k

Captain

You would replace your lower shift cable if it is stiff or going bad. To not replace it when needed will do damage to your shift dogs requiring outdrive overhaul.

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

someone should be turning the prop doing that test to make sure the dogs are fully locked.
Assuming the video is showing excessive travel from the control box, lower the adjustable stud a bit .
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hsa2.pdf
This link shows how to adjust it.

Thanks! Good stuff. Slowly figuring out this works so I can fix it. Got the dog part down...

For the steering, can I use require marine grease or is this where I want to use Mercs stuff.

CRay45DB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You would replace your lower shift cable if it is stiff or going bad. To not replace it when needed will do damage to your shift dogs requiring outdrive overhaul.

Fast forward. Idle problem fixed. One turn of the barrel took care of that. Now the shifter.

I took the shift handle cover off. The shifter box is behind a panel. Exposed is the shifting rod and lock pin. What I discovered so far is that once I press the trigger, that pin after I shift doesn't want to go back in and lock. Looking at the schematic I got from Merc, I can manually push it in, but won't go back in by itself.

Let me know if you need the schematic. 1989 contoller 90-4200091A. Will post some pics.