fuel economy 5.0 vs 3.0

bhayward79

Recruit
i am looking at a 1993 210 dynasty with a 5.0 powered by yamaha. how is the fuel economy comparied to my 19 bayliner capri with a omc 3.0 both boats are open bow and are carbuated.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel economy 5.0 vs 3.0

i am looking at a 1993 210 dynasty with a 5.0 powered by yamaha. how is the fuel economy comparied to my 19 bayliner capri with a omc 3.0 both boats are open bow and are carbuated.

Howdy,

Welcome aboard.....

Well, it all depends on how you load the boats and where you position your right hand (throttle)

Also, you say Yamaha? as in Yamaha I/O?

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN away from that thing!!

Regards,

RIck

bhayward79

Recruit

Howdy,

Welcome aboard.....

Well, it all depends on how you load the boats and where you position your right hand (throttle)

Also, you say Yamaha? as in Yamaha I/O?

RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN away from that thing!!

Regards,

RIck

i am, trying to figure it on using them the same way. Like i will go tubing all day long with my family with my 3.0 I only use about 8 gallons of gas. but i have herd stories about the 5.0 doubling that. I know the 5.0 will defently use more but i am trying to figuree out how much more i am also looking at a 4.3.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Did you miss the "Yamaha" comment? Don't buy the boat if it has a Yamaha I/O.

JBF 1962

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, you definately do not want a yamaha i/o

bhayward79

Recruit

so i will stay away! they told me the boat was sold anyways but i am still looking for a new boat and i am up in the air if i want a v8 or not. i know it has alot more power but i realy dont need more power i want about a 21 foot open bow and the ones i am seeing have either a 4.3 or 5.0. and i dont want to break the bank on gas so i am not sure witch to look for what would be better. the most i do is tube and take the kids for rides. so i dont want a 20 mile ride cost me $100.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Get the biggest small block engine you can get.
A 4.3 may get on plane and cruise at 35 mph The 5.7 will do it quicker,with less throttle in the same amount of time.
At the same speed the 4.3 may need to be at almost full throttle, the 5.7 only 1/2 throttle.
Guess which will get best fuel milage 1/2 throttle, or almost full power.
Now start adding weight to the boat (people, coolers, toys, full fuel tank) and you may take forever to plane with a 4.3 aand you have to run WOT to get to 35 mph, if you make it. While the 5.7 may need only 3/4 throttle.
It will still use less fuel to go the same speed.

45Auto

Commander

Like i will go tubing all day long with my family with my 3.0 I only use about 8 gallons of gas.

You're going to be severely disappointed no matter what you get if you think you're tubing all day on 8 gallons of gas in your current boat. A lightly loaded 4 cylinder 19' boat burns 5-7 GALLONS PER HOUR at cruise speeds, and even more pulling a tube. Maybe you're doing a lot of anchoring?

As Don said, boat economy is pretty irrelevent of engine size, it's more determined by boat size and weight. Often a bigger engine will give better cruise economy.

Do some research at places like Boattest.com, you'll find out that 18'-19' boats get about 4.5 - 5.0 MPG no matter what motor is in them, and 20'-21' boats get 4.0 - 4.5 MPG.

Typical test results for a 18' Bayliner with a 4 cylinder. Notice the Gallons Per Hour (GPH) numbers between 20-30 MPH.

xxx.jpg