Steering issues Bayliner Capri Cuddy

Fisch

Cadet
Hi ...

My Dad has (I believe) a 1988 Bayliner Capri (1700 I think) ...

Anyhoo ... this boat previously belonged to my uncle, who added a CMC power trim unit to the 85 hp Force it's equipped with. Eventually, my uncle had to replace his teleflex cable for his steering (boat became ridiculously difficult to steer).

At this time he was unaware of the issue ... so ... Dad buys boat, runs it for a few trips and cable takes a crap again ... Dad replaces steering cable, all is well for about 2 outings, and BOOM ... cable shot ONCE AGAIN!

Obviously at this point, it's realized there is NO WAY cables just go bad like this, and a lot of thought is given to the turnout that this cable has to make to connect to the trim tube.

Dad removes cable at the trim tube, and it's clearly bent at the cable end (which explains the binding/extra hard steering).

Apparently my uncle cut a hole in the glass on the boat behind the manufacturer's hole for the steering cable just to be able to hook this cable up after installing this power trim/tilt unit.

We are certain that the fact that this power trim unit causes the steering assembly to mount up several inches further back from the factory location for the steering components that this is creating a turn for the cable to make that is too sharp in too short a span. More over, the turn is is a double turn (an 'S') almost, to be connected.

So having arrived at this conundrum ... where it's clear what and where the problem exists ...

Is anyone aware of what options or remedies might exist? Should the cable be run straight out the back of the transom and turned to the outboard there (which would be an awful option, in my opinion) ... ??

Is there any sort of kit that is out there that basically, moves or places things where they should to be enable these steering components to function? Like an offset bracket deal, or something to that effect ... ???

Would changing cable length an inch or two in either direction impact the stress in these turnouts and avoid the dreaded kink?

Does this boat simply need the power trim eliminated (again, NOT factory)???

Any ideas, input, or wisdom from previous experiences is appreciated!!!