ign switch and other wiring questions.

The Grinch

Recruit
I recently picked up a 1960's glasspar marathon 14 foot runabout. The seller claimed the motor was a 25hp Chrysler. Well after poking around the motor i can't find a date or ID tag. These boats came factory with a 35hp Chrysler so that is what i believe the motor is.

Anyways I hooked the battery to it and turned the key with no result. The ign switch had been replaced by the old owner. I jumped the starter solenoid and got it to turn over. Then i jumped a battery hot to the ignition hot and got spark. Hooked up fuel and she fired up. However it keeps tripping the breaker and killing the motor.

I believe the old owner attached the wires to the ignition switch wrong. Would this cause the breaker to trip?? If so what wires should be in what positions. I mean what wires should be on the run circuit and what wires should be on the start circut?

Any input would be great. I can take pictures of the motor tomorrow if that will help ID it.

fucawi

Banned
Re: ign switch and other wiring questions.

If its the 35 it will have no cover on the flywheel ...twin coils if its battery igniton though it could have magneto or CDI dependent on the age ..the plate is at the front just inside the cover ...to work the ignition all you need is a live to the point where the two coils are joined as its just like the igniton on an old car ..let us have a photo and I have a manual for it

The Grinch

Recruit

Here are some pictures of the motor.
Picture005.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Picture006.jpg

The Grinch

Recruit

here is the mess of wires at the ignition switch. The two yellow connectors are where i jumped the Ign to 12volt source. When connecting the battery it sparks which tells me there is current draw and items are drawing power when they should not be. I have traced the wires back to the motor connector block but need to figure out the switch end. It has the tach signal going to the center lug on the ignition switch where i believe the large battery supply cable (dark green) should go.
Picture003.jpg

fucawi

Banned

No large battery cable positive goes to the bolt on the starter solenoid.. one solenoid bolt to the starter and one to the battery.....no thick cables to the switch A good earth cable to the starter case. A thinner wire from the pos on the solenoid will link to the overload trip just to its right and then the other terminal to the terminal strip.

Your switch will have threee positons
1/ no terminals joined
2/ Run two terminals joined ..one to +ve other to igniton
3/Start ..three terminals joined ..extra one to solenoid
if its marked B is + 12v S starter solelnoid
I is igniton coils C is choke
All the diagrams are at HTTP://www.boatfix.com/how/switch.html where it gives all the diagrms for different switches ..yours is at the bottom