old evenrude won't go in gear.

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So it was working fine. I started the motor started to give it gas and it basically went forward and then popped out of gear. Now it will not move forward or reverse. Just stays in neutral. I cannot figure it out. I can't really find the issue I'm having in the manual either. It's a 85ish year. 25HP

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: old evenrude won't go in gear.

Can u feel the detention on the shifter when you move it from forward to reverse?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check all the shift linkage for something being broke or fell apart. With the mtr not running, rotate the prop while shifting it and see if the g/c locks up in forward or reverse.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Disconnect the shift cable at the engine and see if it moves when you work the throttle, then try to shift it by hand, you may need to spin the prop a bit with your foot to get it to go into gear.

One or the other shoufl work and least tellyou where the problelm is, either the cable is broke or something in the lower let go, watch running the engine until you figure out which one it is, if it is a gear probelm you will make it worse by runnig the engine at all.

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Disconnect the shift cable at the engine and see if it moves when you work the throttle, then try to shift it by hand, you may need to spin the prop a bit with your foot to get it to go into gear.

One or the other shoufl work and least tellyou where the problelm is, either the cable is broke or something in the lower let go, watch running the engine until you figure out which one it is, if it is a gear probelm you will make it worse by runnig the engine at all.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will try and figure this out. I just don't understand what is moving it in and out of gear. When I put it in forward or reverse I see nothing but a sprint moving. I cannot tell how the gear shifter works.

josh6780

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://i.imgur.com/CI8NQ.jpg

I just got a chance to take it a part to see what was wrong and look what I found. I have never see a pin break in half before. Any of you guys? At least this is an easy fix. This is not a caused from any other major internal issue correct?

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's called the shear pin. It's supposed to break before anything else does. Been there. :) Should just be a couple bucks at a nearby marine shop. Don't let them give you brass ones like one guy did for me... those are for trolling motors and will snap almost immediately. Just to be clear, your engine will shift into forward, reverse, and neutral, but it just doesn't go forwards or reverse right?
If the lever to shift F/N/R is stuck or doesn't seem to be connected to anything, that's a whole other issue.