Help Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris craft 40

Recruit
Hello I have a 93 chris craft concept 185 with the OMC 3.0l does any one know what rpm the motor should run when throttle is maxed ( mine is turning 2000 and is a total slug)

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Help Please

I don't know the exact spec. but it's at least double that, tune up? fuel filter changed?

daddybx

Seaman Apprentice

Check fuel pressure

whens last tuneup?
Check timing

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with everyone here check the simple stuff first. Don't know the exact specs but Guessing 4000 RMP ish

Will it do more RPM out of the water? (no load)

Check these things firs. timing fuel pressure fuel filter spark arrester FUEL (has it been sitting) spark advance if all that is good then go to the next step...

Compression.

chris craft 40

Recruit

thankyou all for the info, I have had the boat for a week and when I test ran it she ran great, I have changed the cap and rotor new plugs and have added seafoam to the fuel. When there is no load on the motor she will red line out turns 8 to 9000 rpm but as soon as there is load she is a dog at 2000rpm. I will change fuel filter today any other suggestions would be great. And again thankyou all for the knlowledge you all bring to this forum its a money saver for us all.

offshore79

Seaman Apprentice

The manuall shows 4200 - 4600 as a max rpm for the 3.0l

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

When there is no load on the motor she will red line out turns 8 to 9000 rpm
wow. stop. doing. that.
I hope you are exaggerating that number. I gotta think the valves would be in full float, hitting pistons before that speed was attained.

check this list: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=295070
and say a prayer the high rpm didn't harm the engine (and outdrive and gimbal bearing)
water pump impeller is on the input of a Cobra - so it was doing those revs... hope it survived - might check the water flow quickly before going much further.

chris craft 40

Recruit

so I may have exagerated on the rpm's I had it out today and she ran a little better but still a slug under load out of water runs great engage prop out of water runs great put in lake she tops out at 2300rpm and after going awile planes out then gets up to like 25mph at 2000rpm changed fuel filter, plug cap rotor is there a filter in the tank and one more at carb also what is the fuel pressure suppose to be any help would be great

matt1964

Cadet

I have a 1986 Larson bow-rider with a GM 3.0 L 181 C.I.D. The motor was replaced in 2009 with a new motor (not re-built)
I recently had a issue where i had to remove the sterndrive and lift motor to replace stringer under front mount. After putting everything back together I took it out on water and I am now having issues with engine operation. when i try to accelerate it seems like i lose power in the engine. I replaced plugs and wires still have same issue. the weird thing is that I pulled one of the spark plug wires off and the engine did not stumble. as a matter of fact it ran the same with the back 2 cylinders plug wires removed! if i tried to do this to the front 2 cylinders the motor immediately stumbles. I do hear a banging noise sometimes when I rev motor regardless of if i am in gear or not. anybody have any thoughts??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

From our Forum Rules http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=397820

12. Please do not post to threads that have been inactive for more than 3 months UN-LESS you are the original poster. We have very active forums and any thread that remains inactive for that long should be considered "dead". It is especially confusing when there is an entirely new question posted to an old thread. This is considered a hijack. Please start a new thread of your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.