Older Star Craft Jet Star rebuild

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Instead of living in quiet desperation the people on this site have inspired me to rebuild (attempt) a 15' Star Craft Jet Star. I have no idea how old it is or how to find out but it has a wonderful 1950s early 60s art deco convertible car look to it. Let me start by saying I have no idea what I am doing but have been given confidence reading the stories of rebuilds on this site. You guys are a wealth of information and entertainment.

My wife drove by this boat and told it looked like the type I had been talking about, small, aluminum and with a steering wheel. I drove by the next day and being very cheap assumed it would be too expensive. At lunch I went back and paid $300 for boat and trailer. I now think that is a small amount compared to what is in store but here goes

I am sorry if the pictures don't work, I will figure it out.

IMG_1037.jpgIMG_1043.jpgIMG_1045.jpgIMG_1046.jpgIMG_1047.jpg

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Older Star Craft Jet Star rebuild

Welcome, the Jet's & Jet Stars are becoming quite popular around here. Nice score! Did it have a windshield? There is nothing that hasnt been done around here so even if you know nothing you'll be able to do this, just keep your thread up to date and you'll get plenty of help.

kfa4303

Banned

Congrats on the new toy!!! Looks like a fun project. She looks fast just sitting still. Any idea what kind of motor you're gonna put on her? There are tons of Starcraft threads here in the forums that should help you out quite a bit. Keep the posts and pics coming, and whatever you do, keep the plaid seats ;) Congrats again.

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welcome, the Jet's & Jet Stars are becoming quite popular around here. Nice score! Did it have a windshield? There is nothing that hasnt been done around here so even if you know nothing you'll be able to do this, just keep your thread up to date and you'll get plenty of help.

There is a windshield with it that is quite foggy and has no trim on top. I will get a picture of it soon. My guess is it will work until I can afford to have one built or attempt to build one myself.
Thanks for the welcome and I appreciate the interest. I have read a few threads and I am well aware there is a lot of talent and experience on this
site

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am a lousy mechanic. I have reasonable carpentry and metal skills but I am awful with motors. This may sound horrible but I am thinking of a new or fairly new Honda or Evinrude 4 stroke. My lovely wife loves to go out in the boat but hates getting stranded. Guess my company is only good for a short time.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Nice find, looks like there isn't much paint left to strip which is what I'm dreading once I get onto that on mine.

I'll be watching to see how it turns out.

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

By the way, hello to North Florida from Northern Maine

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

TruckDrivingFool! Yours is one of the threads I Read, great fun.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

This may sound horrible but I am thinking of a new or fairly new Honda or Evinrude 4 stroke.

Oh man, that sounds awesome! Love to see that happen!

Hey, welcome to dry dock and the Starcraft Brohood!

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just checked out your thread, I will spend some time there. Great boat.

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

jasoputside, your 1968 15" jetstar rebuild is the site that gave me the inspiration and how I found iboats. I googled Starcraft Jet Star and you came up, I felt like I hit gold, thanks.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Welcome aboard RG, that Jet Star looks to be in pretty good shape. Great project boat:)

The only problem I have with bolting up a brand-new or newer Evinrude or Honda is the money to pay for it:D

Your ship so it's your call, one of the great things about restoring a boat is the liberties you are afforded in planning/design.:)

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny how money is such a factor. I have a 2008 8 horse Honda to trade in or sell, besides, the old1986 15 horse evinrude I used to run stranded my wife and I one too many times so she can get behind the newer motor. I inherited a 14' starcraft with trailer and 15 evinrude from my wifes father. It was trashed. I rebuilt it and traded the motor for the Honda. Great boat but can't afford both. Steering wheel wins plus I love the rebuilding process. Long winters up here.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for following along.:) While I do enjoy fixing things, the feeling of accomplishment, and that vested connection once done - I don't know as I would call it great fun. LOL

kfa is right these Jets have nice lines and do look fast just sitting there. I have to admit I already love the little boat.

For the motor so true if I had the budget for a newer motor I would. While I like the look of the classic on the classic, my last tinny fishing boat I swapped the old Merc 9.9 in favor of a 00' Nissan 9.8. It was sure nice to not have to do a years tinkering on it to have the dependable motor that required nothing but routine maintenance.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

jasoputside, your 1968 15" jetstar rebuild is the site that gave me the inspiration and how I found iboats. I googled Starcraft Jet Star and you came up, I felt like I hit gold, thanks.

Well thanks man, awfully nice of ya to say.

Yah, this place is tonnage of info! Just about everything you'd like to know about rebuilding these ol metal boats is all housed right here. So cool.

Good luck, have fun and I'll be following along with ya:)

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

New Day. When I bought the jetstar it had been pretty well stripped. The only things left were the steering, the bow light, most of the floor and some nonoriginal seats. The bottom was mostly striiped of paint as had the top, but the top had been repainted but the paint had all flaked off. The windshield, which may or may not have come with the boat was on the floor with no top trim. None of the removed parts were there.
I took the seats and the floor and insulation out, which wieghed a ton, and will tke the dash board out tonight if it is not raining. The wooden braces under the front hood are broken and will also come out.
I am ordering Gluvit and intend to do the bottom the way Bighoss did his, polished aluminum and some paint. I have ordered 1"x4" T & G cedar from a fiend for the floor.
The transom is 17". I am wondering if I need to make it 20" in order to have a long shaft motor since it seems used late model short shaft are far and few between. Any ideas.

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In my case it's more than nice since I have to pay to have even the simplest thing done on a motor.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hello there neighbor, well sort of. I'm on the other end of Rt 95 here in So. Maine. Hamilton Marine in Searsport might be a few hours away from you but worth checking out on a day trip.

Polished aluminum is the bomb!

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello to you. I know of Hamilton Marine and have 1 of their catalogs. I met one of the salesmen from Hamden at the Bangor Mall. They sure had some sweet boats, just a little out of my price range. I will definitely be stopping the next time through to see my kids.

Rghammond

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just checked out your thread a ;little more. Maybe the fact that my Jet Star was mostly stripped is a good thing. I can probably replace the missing stuff easier than stripping off the paint by the looks.
Hello there neighbor, well sort of. I'm on the other end of Rt 95 here in So. Maine. Hamilton Marine in Searsport might be a few hours away from you but worth checking out on a day trip.

Polished aluminum is the bomb!