1996 4 Winns 190 H DLX >> rubber helm and handles

89-conv

Seaman Apprentice
What the heck is in the rubber of the helm and handles?? Or actually how do ya clean em? So, I recently bought this used, while there's not much algae? or Black mold growing on the vinyl.. the rubber on the helm and side handles looks filthy,, .. or,, IS filthy! ha.. I read others saying simple green was boater friend so I ran out and got some.. OK it's not my friend.. I also tried a mix with some bleach, 1 part bleach, 2-3 water and soap.. That got about half of it off, but. they still look filthy.. I did not like the idea of using bleach, but,, nothing i had worked, so, bleach is a sure fire mold killer,, still..

what the heck is in that rubber?? I am betting the tan color of the rubber is whole, that's to say, solid through and through,, but.. because this black stuff is in there so deep or whatever,, it gives the appearance that it's actually painted tan and black underneath..

there's hardly any to be 'this' concerned about on the vinyl or any other place in the boat,, even where the rubber handles meet up with the vinyl,, so, it's not dirt or greese from filthy hands,, it's the rubber..

Just this rubber.. the helm and handles,, FILTHY looking. What did the manufactures of these do? Add in food for mold!?? lol

Or,, anybody got a solution?