Why don't more people eat ray?

ngt

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just wondering. I have caught dozens of them and today, for the first time, I brought home a nice cow nose ray and cooked up the fillets from the wings/fins. Now, getting nice fillets definitely didn't happen, but I got the meat out and cooked it. Half was deep fried with panko stuff and the other half was baked in butter and a garlic herb sauce while covered with foil. Both turned out great, but I did like the baked one a bit more. I'm not saying I'm going to keep every one I catch, but I may take one home every once in a while if I snag a big one. Fun fish to catch and now in my book, good eating. Definitely a different texture than any other fish I've eaten, and the meat was definitely different than any fish I've cut up. When I was getting the meat out I kind of looked at it like "can I even eat this sh**". Well, yes I can. The more beef like texture has me thinking of what I can eat it with. Going to sleep tonight dreaming about the big fat ray and smoked gouda sandwich I'll be taking to work for lunch tomorrow, along with the ray, eggs, and toast I'll be having for breakfast :D

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Why don't more people eat ray?

I've heard and have no idea if this true, but if you have scallops with no sand in them, it's ray. May be an old wives tale.

capt sam

we eat them occassionally, there is nothing wrong whatsoever in eating them.

ngt

I've heard and have no idea if this true, but if you have scallops with no sand in them, it's ray. May be an old wives tale.

I've heard that too, and I saw a ray fillet on youtube that looked more like scallop meat. The meat in this ray looked nothing like scallop meat at all. It was in strips inside the fish and of course the same after I cooked it. I wish I took pictures before I cooked it to show. Here's a picture of what it looked like after I baked it. I'm not sure how anyone could mistake this for scallops.

ray.jpg

we eat them occassionally, there is nothing wrong whatsoever in eating them.

cool! Thought there might be some reason people don't, and besides being a pain to clean, I wasn't sure why.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Rays are part of the shark family. They are simply "flat sharks". The meat is delicious, just like a lot of other shark meat. Mako is my favorite... But anyway, a lot of resteraunts sell immitation scallops instead of the real thing. Large sea scallops are pretty pricey today. They have been for years. They "punch" out "scallops" from rays with a cookie cutter-like tool and the "scallops" are treated with a solution to alter the texture of the flesh. I don't recall what the solution is, but it's at least mostly natural, and safe.

I don't want to be argumentative, but just because there's no sand in a scallop, does not mean it's ray. If you've never eaten real sea scallops, you'd obviously never know the difference. For those who've eaten large sea scallops (real ones), there's no mistaking the difference. There's no point in making immitation bay scallops, as they are not expensive enough nor are they in short enough supply to make it worth while for these unscroupulous purveyors to defraud people.

Immitation crab meat is another one. It's made mostly from shredded pollock, treated with a similar solution, formed into "sea-legs" and coated with a pink/red dye to make it look more convincing. I've been to places that actually tried to pass this off as lobster meat. Again, if you've never had the real thing, how would you know the difference?

In China Town, NYC, you can buy immitation scallops, shrimp, lobster, crab, ect... They are shaped and colored into the form of what they are supposed to be.

Anyway, I'm glad you've discovered how delicious "not so popular" seafood can be. All it takes is an open mind. When I was a little kid, I used to bring home spider crab from Far Rockaway beaches. People turned their noses up at it. Years later, it was marketed as "snow crab". Now it's almost as expensive as lobster.

ngt

nice read. thanks for the post/info.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

nice read. thanks for the post/info.

Thanks for the thread.:) Your picture of the roasted ray looks AMAZING!!! Funny how easily one can get "hooked" on what they once thought of as something to be thrown back, huh?

Keep on with your adventurous and open mind... Happy hunting and happy eating!!!

ngt

thanks! Tasted good. So far I've eaten the meat cooked in the picture above in sandwiches, ground up in pasta w/ garlic alfredo, and just like pictured. I do like the deep fried version. Question: Do people tenderize the meat ever before cooking it?

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

People do a lot of different things with it. turning it into immitation scallops doesn't so much tenderize it as it changes the consistancy of the meat. It makes it a little more resilient without making it chewy or tough. Putting freshly ground black pepper on it about a half hour before you cook it will tenderize it a little. Soaking it in milk, particularly, buttermilk will tenderize it even more. Being careful not to over cook it is of the utmost importance for tenderness and flavor. The picture you posted looks to be very nicely cooked. Try it a little on the rare side, and let me know what you think. The day you catch it is the best time to eat it rare. If you have a grill on the boat, perfect. If not... get one!!!:D The Magma Combo 2 Kettle grill is fantastic. My wife gave me one for Christmas last year. I've been looking forward to throwing on a skate or shark steak ever since I read this thread.

Happy hunting, and happy eating!!! It's been a pleasure "talking" with you about this...

ngt

same, and thanks for the tips! A grill on the boat sounds very cool! I'll definitely look into that!

cjr1971

Cadet

Ray tases nothig like Scallops. I get Scallops from a place local to me and eat them regularly. I've eaten ray and I think it tastes more like dogfish. I could be wrong but this is what I think.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

If you've never eaten real sea scallops, you'd obviously never know the difference. For those who've eaten large sea scallops (real ones), there's no mistaking the difference.

Ray tases nothig like Scallops. I get Scallops from a place local to me and eat them regularly. I've eaten ray and I think it tastes more like dogfish. I could be wrong but this is what I think.

Agreed... One thing I didn't mention about what goes into making immitation scallops... Sugar. Still doesn't taste like scallops; nor does it have the same texture or consitancy. Just kinda similar for those who wouldn't know or care about the difference.

I know someone who hates real crab legs; but will eat the immitation "Sea Legs" like there's no tomorrow... Go figure.:confused:

ngt

Caught another today, a bit over 3ft wide. Deep fried with penko. Good stuff.

Every time I "re-try" imitation crab meat, I just feel let down. I've never tasted imitation crab that tasted like the crab I catch myself.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Caught another today, a bit over 3ft wide. Deep fried with penko. Good stuff.

Every time I "re-try" imitation crab meat, I just feel let down. I've never tasted imitation crab that tasted like the crab I catch myself.

You won't...

Same with real scallops compared to the fake ones made from skate. Everyone has their own tastes and opinions. In Hawaii, Spam (the compressed ham-like substance in a can:p) is like a national treasure. Again... Go figure.;)

ngt

You won't...

Same with real scallops compared to the fake ones made from skate. Everyone has their own tastes and opinions. In Hawaii, Spam (the compressed ham-like substance in a can:p) is like a national treasure. Again... Go figure.;)

Oh for sure. Little food carts near my work sell corn on the cob coated in mayonnaise and dusted with chili powder. Kids flock around these carts after school w/ a side of pork skins. Not a fan of either, but the guy who pushes the cart (while his wife runs the tamale cart) has a nicer car than I do, so I guess there are enough people that do.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Oh for sure. Little food carts near my work sell corn on the cob coated in mayonnaise and dusted with chili powder. Kids flock around these carts after school w/ a side of pork skins. Not a fan of either, but the guy who pushes the cart (while his wife runs the tamale cart) has a nicer car than I do, so I guess there are enough people that do.

Dusted with chili powder sounds good... Kinda lost me with the mayo, though. Love Hellman's mayo... doesn't sound good on corn... Not even with chili powder.;) If offered one, by those eating it... I'd try it. I'm open minded like that.

To each his own, and to own his each!!!:)... If ya know what I mean... Not sure I do!!!:rolleyes:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!, y'all ate trash fish!!!

ngt

I take it you don't like Ray? lol