Alpha One Gen1 + powersteering HELP!!!

viskas

Recruit
Heya!<br /><br />Replaced my bellows and gearshiftcable and adjusted it according to the manual. (even twice)<br />But when i move the thrustlever into first position (forward-reverse) the propp does not engage into gear only this clunk clunk clunk sound....<br />However, when movin lever full (any position) no problemo, gear engaged.<br /><br />Also, the killswitch (wich i remember was moving last year with old wire) does not move anymore..<br />Well, it moves when i use my finger and pushes on it.<br /><br />When i changed the belows and gearwire i had to turn the drive from outside port-starboard several times to be able to do the job.<br />After awhile i noticed when i had the drive to Port it got stuck in that position, but it came loose afterfew minutes.<br />But from now, everytime i turn the drive by hand from outside to Port i got this problem...<br />And i imagine how safety it must be cruising or docking with this issue.. err NOT :( <br /><br /><br />I hope that ppl can read, and what i wrote make sence.Im not that good when it comes to enigne terms and other techincal related things since im not native English speaking.<br /><br />Thanxs in advance

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Alpha One Gen1 + powersteering HELP!!!

hello<br /> let me try to clarify<br /> you have replaced your bellows. no worries there according to your post<br /> on the lower shift cable. <br /> did you replace the cable with a kit? did you follow the manuaal about the 1/8 set screw on the cable slide and resafty wire it?<br /> did you lock the prop fully in fwd gear and hold it with a bungee cord around the prop to insure it stayed locked in fwd gear before installing the cable and cable anchor parts on the engine side of the lower cable? did you follow all the steps in the manual for lower cable adjustments? how old is the shift mechanism and what problems caused the shift cable replacement? did it shift ok before the replacement or was the replacement due to a malfunction?<br /> the shift cutout block is not designed to operate unless the prop shaft is loaded. that means in the water and rotating. on the trailer the cut out switch may or may not move due to no load on the propshaft. its desined to only operate if the unit has a load and then only when moving from any in gear position to netural. on the power steering. if its locking while trying to move the unit with the helm you may have a problem. if its locking while trying to move the unit by pusing or pulling the unit port and stbd its normal. the powersteering is designed not to accept a load or thrust input from the drive. it is normal to be able to move the drive oneway and not the other with the engine off and the input from the drive.<br /> while I realize the language difference most technical terms stay the same. there is no first second or third position. its fwd,netural and reverse. works in Venezuela, sweden and the US.<br /> the reason for the shift cut out moving on the trailer with the old cable is the cable or upper shift shaft was sticking.<br /> but the unit must be manually placed in fwd gear and the propshaaft held under a load by some means before performing the rest of the cable install. the drive must be installed prior to any engine side cable adjustments. only after the drive is installed, placed fully in fwd and the propshaft loaded to prevent shift clucth motion can the cable guide and cable anchor end be instaalled and adjusted.

viskas

Recruit
Re: Alpha One Gen1 + powersteering HELP!!!

Hey!<br /><br />Yea, i replaced with a cablekit.<br />I think i got it right about the 1/8 screw (wich i loosened 2mm) and shaped the safety wire like an eight.<br /><br />I had propp in forward gear but i never had that much pressure on it. Just enough it stayed there when installing cable anchor parts.<br />I adjusted the lowercable according to manual 15.3mm.<br /><br />Boat is 90-91 and last season i had some problems when shifting into forward. It did shift but i had to add som throttle to it tho.<br />Also it could stay in fwd gear when going back to neutral. <br />All that came after i reinstalled the drive unit last year so i thought i had to replace wire now to make it work.<br /><br />But then again, moving throttle lever from neutral to forward idle, does the gear engage or do the propp need workload to engage properly? <br />I get it to engage when throttle lever moves past forward idle.<br /><br />About the cutout, is it that simple that due to a bad lower wire the cutout switch moved last season? And is it possible to do a fully test on trailer? can i add more pressure on propp so that the cutout moves? <br /><br />About powersteering<br />Well, what u write sounds good and if it is that simple, noone is happier then me =)<br /><br /><br />Ive done some work on VP280 drives earlier and this is my first atempt on Alpha One. Im just glad i bought a single engine =) But all it takes is some knowledge and practical training to do it better and faster next time.<br /><br />Thanxs