Johnson 50 HP 2004 SUNKEN motor

MWoodall086

Recruit
I sunk my boat motor last summer and after retrieving it I cleaned it all up but I'm not sure how to prime the oil pump. The gas is priming fine but since I can't prime the oil pump I can't get it to fire up. I took everything apart and am rebuilding the motor but because I can't get past this point I can't continue! It is a 2004 Johnson-Evinrude 50 hp inboard boat motor. Please help! I know the forum said outboard but I couldn't find the related forum.

My Uncle and Great-uncle were the ones who actually sank the motor, and while my uncle was wearing his life jacket, my Great Uncle was stubborn and not wearing his, and he actually drowned while doing his favorite thing in the world, fishing on the lake he and his brother (my Grandfather) grew up on. Rebuilding this motor is my tribute to him and any help that can be provided is appreciated.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Johnson 50 HP 2004 SUNKEN motor

can you give us the model #? That really helps us to help you!! Welcome to iboats!

nwcove

Admiral

tragic story, hope you can get everything worked out. but is it an inboard?

MWoodall086

Recruit

can you give us the model #? That really helps us to help you!! Welcome to iboats!

The model # J50PLSOC

ALSO - Before the motor was sunk there was a different fuel injection system than I am using now, so I am not sure what Oil/gas ratio I should be using? It was questionable for 50:1 but I really have no idea!

AGAIN, thank you all for respinding so fast and your willingness to help!

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Umm something isnt right! 2005 Johnson 50 hp J50PLSOC Outboard Motor. Your #s are coming up as an Outboard! And if this info I have is correct, then it is a 50:1 fuel/oil ratio! Good luck

hidef

Lieutenant

First off sorry about your loss. Now you actually have a 2005 model Johnson.

J50PLSOC 50hp Outboard Motor Parts by Engine Section

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=2005&hp=50&model=J50PLSOC

If you have disconnected the oil tank from the VRO pump or completely changed out the pump for another that doesn't inject oil than you want to mix the gas and oil at 50:1. You should be premixing anyways until you are sure the oil injection is working correctly. If you don't have the factory service manual get it. The Seloc and Clymers manuals are not very good. Also if you head over to Max Rules they have a trouble shooting guide for the VRO pumps which works very well.

http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/VROpics/VROflowchart.jpg

For ignition trouble shooting the CDI guide is very good. Just follow the instructions for your model.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

The best thing to do for an outboard motor when it sinks, is to get it running, within minutes of the sinking. This will get all the water flushed out from the crank case and other vital parts. If you let it set for more than 10 minutes, then consider the crank and bearings a loss. If you can't get the oil pump primed, then just run a 50:1 mix in the gas tank and forget the oil injector system. Myself, I'll never own a motor that has one. Mixing the gas yourself is the best failsafe method

MWoodall086

Recruit

Thank you guys for everything!! This has been so helpful already, I'm very happy to have the collective information from all of you guys! What I'm trying to do this week is make sure the Stator assy and the Timer base assy are working correctly! I cleaned everything out like you guys said, although I couldn't exactly get it done in a timely fashion because the day the motor sunk we were busy trying to find my Uncle, and then dealing with the loss. So anyway, my question is how do I check to make sure these parts are running efficiently? I have a wattage tester and there is current running through it, but I want to make sure everything is running as well as it can be before I move forward. I'm learning most of this stuff as I go so if I'm not being clear enough just let me know and I'll clarify. I'll take a few pics and post them on here to show you all how it's coming along and all that. Thank you in advance!!!

Borgey401

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh man, that's awful. I don't have any advice on your motor but I just wanted to chime in and say I am sorry for your loss.