Islander Restore Project, What IO and Drive??????

giantloop

Cadet
I am on the hunt for an Islander 22 for a restore project. I have always been an outboard guy but am looking for the 3.0 Merc combo for this one. My one dealing in IO was a bayliner with a 351 and Cobra drive that about every mechanic in Missouri would turn and run from in fear from and the parts department guys made a living off me..... So my question is what am I really wanting? Any 3.0 and Merc drive or is one better, costs less, parts are availabe????? I have even given thought to getting a new 3.0 and drive combo from merc. Thats just crazy I know....What do you think? I do have a little 4BT cummins I could tie in also I guess, that would be cool.......

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Islander Restore Project, What IO and Drive??????

I put a whole new - used - 3.0 Alpha 1 in my Holiday - you can check my thread below - if I had a 22 Islander I would get a bigger motor than the 3.0 though.....

A complete switch out is pretty straightforward.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

A 3.0 is not a power house, 21' cheiftain top out at 30 mph at sea level. Good fishing boat easy on gas.
If you want speed go with the v-6 chevy and a merc outdrive. I would not get an omc.
Volvo is a good outdrive.

3.0 is lighter and even at that the stern is heavy in these tinny's.

airshot

Rear Admiral

What do you want it to do? I have an 83 22 Islander with 140 merc and it is great. Will top out at 34 mph (gps) and haul 4 adults and all the fishing gear avg 22/24 mph at 32/3300 rpm and approx 3-4 gallons per hour on fuel. We don't ski, and on the big lake rarely is it calm enough to exceed 24 mph.

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer

OMC 350, 351 if you prefer fords, they are both good engines. Most parts can be interchanged with automotive, but not all, eg carbs, distributors, alternators, starters, and so on. And a berkley, or panther jet drive. From what I've been reading the jets are the way to go. I didn't start reading about them til I bought one. My 21 foot holiday will scoot. I was told 60, but it won't do that.Never had it full bore, as I've just started getting it on the water. Handles easier than an outboard, I've never had any experience with an inboard before. And you can lug it right down for trolling. You do not need the power to turn. Just don't drop the power in or just before a turn. Just my opinion.

giantloop

Cadet

What do you want it to do? I have an 83 22 Islander with 140 merc and it is great. Will top out at 34 mph (gps) and haul 4 adults and all the fishing gear avg 22/24 mph at 32/3300 rpm and approx 3-4 gallons per hour on fuel. We don't ski, and on the big lake rarely is it calm enough to exceed 24 mph.
Sounds like we are about the same as far as the need goes. It will be used most of the time to cruise the Missouri river to catfish and overnight. Just go out have a cold drink on the hook, fish and then go to bed for the night. We do not have what you would call big water but we do have big stuff that floats in the water....Speed is something that does not worry me. 30 MPH is more than a plenty the cruise range is what matters for me. Much thanks for the help.