Looking for an opinion -- I-6 or V-6?

kd7isf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all..

Not sure if this is the correct place for this -- mods, please move it if I guessed wrong :) thanks!

Well, I am working on restoring my '74 Thompson runabout (18').

It had a 120hp OMC electric stringer.
Despite the bad rep it seems to have on this and other boards, I like both the stringer concept and the electric shift and intend to stick with both....

I am upgrading the stringers while I have the drive out anyway...

My question is, I am thinking about upgrading to a 6 cyl engine.

I know, I will have to either swap the upper unit or regear it for the 6 cyl... Already looked into the lower unit -- same model number lower used all the way up to v-8...

That said, which engine is considered to be a better engine? The I-6 (which is a native swap -- its just an I-4 with two more cylinders added on) or the v-6?

So far my list of pros and cons are such:

I-6
-Native swap. engine adapter, exhaust connection, engine mounts, etc... are all the same...
-requires engine compartment to be made longer to accommodate the longer engine.
-with proper care will outlast the boat...
-mechanically similar to the 120/135/140 I-4's and therefore learning curve much less steep...
-most replacement parts are interchangeable with the I-4 parts (except for 6 cylinder specific parts like dizzy caps and etc...) which means most of my current spare parts will fit....

V-6 (i.e. 4.3 or similar)
-Short and compact -- will fit in my existing engine compartment
-Requires stbd exhaust port on bell / intermediate housing to be opened (it's there, just sealed off -- already checked on this...)
-requires change to v-8 style front engine mount(s)
-requires different engine adapter (possibly custom engine adapter? All I have found online so far is adapters for cobra drives -- cobra adapters don't fit stringer drives...)
-v-6 never originally used with electric stringer (v-6 WAS used with the later 400/800 stringer, though -- which used the same bell housing)
-v-8 was used with electric stringer -- engine adapter and other v-8 parts should be interchangeable with v-6 (4.3 is supposed to be same as 350 - 2 cylinders, right?)

Just looking for advise on which swap (i-6 or v-6) makes the most sense

Thanks!!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Looking for an opinion -- I-6 or V-6?

The bellhousing bolt pattern should be the same for the I6 and V6.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

I know this is a negative response but I don't think either is a good choice. My guess is that the gearing will not be right in the leg and it will have to be replaced. Not worth it with an OMC.

kilowatts

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I6 all day long.............

Or patch the hole and convert to a alpha.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I would say I6 for one main reason:

Your I4 intermediate only has a flapper (exhaust shutter) in the port side. Even though you may see a capped off exhaust "duct" on the starboard side, there is no shutter under it. And you have to split the bellhousing from the shaft/bearing half of the intermediate to put one in there.
You see, the geniuses at OMC saved $4 per boat by not putting a flapper in the starboard side of the I4 and I6 intermediate housings.

Otherwise, just base it on whatever opportunities present themselves locally in the used boat engine market.