Correct Prop for my boat

Big_D_in_Mo

Recruit
This is my first post here, and I'm hoping I can get the correct answers.

I have a 01 Lund 1700 Fisherman with a 02 115 Johnson 2 stroke motor. The prop that came with the boat is a 14x17 3 blade alum. The original prop I'm assuming. This prop at WOT runs 5500 rpm. But, it only runs about 36-37 mph. According to my engine manual, rpm is to be 4500-5500. I bought a Solas Amita 12.75x17 4 blade alum. prop, and it runs 5800 rpm but it will run 39-40 mph. To high of rpm for me. But I like the speed. One prop dealer told me to get a 19 pitch 4 blade and that will drop my rpm about 400 or 5400 rpm and give me more speed. The only 4 blade I've found is a 12.5x19. As you can see I keep getting smaller in diameter. Don't know if this is good or not. So, now I'm looking at, after reading on here, that maybe I should go with a Turning Point Hustler 13.25x17 or 13.25x19 prop. Both are 3 blade alum. Can someone enlighten me on which route to take? One other thing I want to mention. I have 2 deep cycle trolling motor batteries in the front of the boat and a 3 bank charger. A lot of weight. Maybe good, maybe bad, but I am not going to move them. Please help before the wife goes ballistic over me buying enough props to start a business.

My boat is strictly for fishing. No water skiing, no tubing, just fishing. Thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Correct Prop for my boat

Wondering if these speeds are by GPS its unusual for a 4 blade to deliver more rpm and speed
in the same pitch.
You also should have noticed quicker hole shot,the ability to stay on plane with less throttle, less vibration and handling better at the dock.
It is normal for diameter to decrease when going to a 4 blade.Also will generally decrease
as pitch increases.
A 19 may improve speed and put the rpm within the range.Hole shot may be slowed a little.
Stick with the same brand and model prop.

Big_D_in_Mo

Recruit

These are GPS speeds. The one thing that I did notice with the 4 blade is how easily it will start cavitating. Any little movement in the wheel and it's spinning free. This is with the motor trimmed about half way.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

These are GPS speeds. The one thing that I did notice with the 4 blade is how easily it will start cavitating. Any little movement in the wheel and it's spinning free. This is with the motor trimmed about half way.
Another surprise typically the 4 blade will have a good grip.Is it an original new prop?