Who wants an L-Drive cheap ???

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Who wants an L-Drive cheap ???

I don't get it... whats the issue? for $127.00 you can put a new drive and or motor in it and it;s good as new. what an I missing? just so I know next time i am looking for a fixer upper

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

I don't get it... whats the issue? for $127.00 you can put a new drive and or motor in it and it;s good as new. what am I missing? just so I know next time i am looking for a fixer upper

Just a thought....rotted transom, rotted stringers, blown motor, locked up outdrive, rotted seat bases, electrical issues, trailer repairs....

There is a definite reason that this boat was donated vs. being repaired. I assume it's because the tax credit was worth more than the boat and less than the $$$ to fix it.

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

for that price thats an easy fix! i guess some people don't get "FIX R UPPER" the boat I am in now cost me $500 I have done the floor, the transom was good put a motor in it replaced the intermediate, rebuilt the lower and I am doing the upper as we speak. I fixed a couple places the hull was damaged. ad re did the interior...

I think I got a good deal.. ad mine is 15 years older than that one..

Plain ole fashion elbowgrease is cheap... and it makes you love what you built yourself even more.

oh and it is up to 27 bids... I guess a lot of people think the way I do.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I don't get it... whats the issue? for $127.00 you can put a new drive and or motor in it and it;s good as new. what an I missing? just so I know next time i am looking for a fixer upper

You don't understand, the hull of the boat is specifically designed for the L drive, It's a Force power head for an engine and a special outdrive setup used on nothing else but that Force L drive. Parts for the Drive and all the connecting stuff for the drive is no longer available.

You can't just stick another engine and outdrive in it because of the step in the transom, You can't put an outboard on it because there isn't a transom there to put one on.

Just look at how the transom is made.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ldrive.jpg
    Ldrive.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

DOn that is the answer I was looking for, I had no idea what an L drive was... sounds like worse than ha avingn OMC stringer... Oh wait thats what I am running LOL

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Beside the fact that an '89 Bayliner is not likely to be in good shape, do some research on the L drive. A short lived attempt at making an i/o out of a Force outboard. The drive comes out the bottom of the boat, so it would be MAJOR reconstruction to repower with anything else, and parts for the Force L drive are unobtanium. You would have to pay me $1000 to haul off that boat. And I would cut it up and burn it. I hope the bidders noticed the part about no trailer!

oops!

Supreme Mariner

dont mind if i barge in here.....lol....get it....barge....:D

for $127.00 you can put a new drive and or motor in it

metal wizzard......could you please give me the link to where you are getting your new motors and drives?.......i could use a few of those.

thanks
oops

metalwizard

Chief Petty Officer

dont mind if i barge in here.....lol....get it....barge....:D

metal wizzard......could you please give me the link to where you are getting your new motors and drives?.......i could use a few of those.

thanks
oops

I didn't mean the drive and motor cost $127... I meant for that investment you could still afford a drive and motor. BUT Now it has been explained to me... I had NO idea what an "L" drive was... Now that I do. I totally understand why this is a BAD deal.

NYBo

Admiral

Well, the glass would probably go for about a grand parted out, based on eBay selling prices for individual pieces.:eek:

southkogs

Staff member

Wow ... don't think I've ever heard of an "L" drive before either. And I'm with Metalwizard, I bought a Stringer so I could probably have fallen into that trap too!

Though, if they could have given it 360? steering radius it would have been kinda cool. I think that was called a canal drive on the Great Lakes Ships.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

And the worst thing about an L-Drive boat...its also a mid 80's Bayliner

mrdibs1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have the same boat. The motor is fairly simple to repair - maybe $500 for DIY-er. The cooling system is very sensitive because of poor design, so that needs a once over. Powerhead and outdrive are supposedly interchangable with an outboard. The L-drive portion (u-joint etc) is unobtainable, but not difficult to have repaired at a machine shop. Floor rot is VERY common on this boat. When running well it's a good boat. Common parts are readily available, but you will get ripped off if you're not careful. I won't try and value it, but it's worth considerably less than a counterpart without the L-Drive.