6.2 MX MPI running rich at idle

Jchiswell

Recruit
Hi all,

i have read a few post over rthe forum of MPI engines running rich but none have really helped me with the problem i am having.

Engine gets to operating temp ok but runs rich at idle, leaving a carbon deposit on the water and also blowing black smoke.
I have checked the IAC with scan tool and appears fine, have even gone to the efforts of removing the IAC off the port engine to try as well, it was reset and still the problem remains.
Checked temp coolant temp sender, ok

I then used the scan tool to check all readings at idle and recorded them all, i then connected scan tool to other engine and recorded all information from it as well, both readings read almost identical.

Started to change parts, 1 at a time obviously, coolant temp sender, intake air temp sender, map sensor, swapped dist cap and leads, all made no change.

Swapped ECU, no difference.

then had a thought i may be spark related although there were no symptoms of a missfire or running rough. I used a timing light on the plug leads and found that i was getting an irregular flash on the timing light, only thing was is that it was on all cylinders. Wierd!!
check timing light on other engine and timing light was ok

Removed plugs to find very carboned up so used new plugs, spark came back to normal on timing light and i would think that the plugs were that fouled that they wouldnt ignite the fuel
engine was still running rich though.

Swapped coil, made no difference

only a couple of things to go now i guess, remove and replace moduel in distributor?
remove and get injectors tested?

any help on this one would be greatly appreciated

Jason.

oh and compression test done and all ok at 220psi

Last edited:

wewood

Recruit
Re: 6.2 MX MPI running rich at idle

Hi all,

i have read a few post over rthe forum of MPI engines running rich but none have really helped me with the problem i am having.

Engine gets to operating temp ok but runs rich at idle, leaving a carbon deposit on the water and also blowing black smoke.
I have checked the IAC with scan tool and appears fine, have even gone to the efforts of removing the IAC off the port engine to try as well, it was reset and still the problem remains.
Checked temp coolant temp sender, ok

I then used the scan tool to check all readings at idle and recorded them all, i then connected scan tool to other engine and recorded all information from it as well, both readings read almost identical.

Started to change parts, 1 at a time obviously, coolant temp sender, intake air temp sender, map sensor, swapped dist cap and leads, all made no change.

Swapped ECU, no difference.

then had a thought i may be spark related although there were no symptoms of a missfire or running rough. I used a timing light on the plug leads and found that i was getting an irregular flash on the timing light, only thing was is that it was on all cylinders. Wierd!!
check timing light on other engine and timing light was ok

Removed plugs to find very carboned up so used new plugs, spark came back to normal on timing light and i would think that the plugs were that fouled that they wouldnt ignite the fuel
engine was still running rich though.

Swapped coil, made no difference

only a couple of things to go now i guess, remove and replace moduel in distributor?
remove and get injectors tested?

any help on this one would be greatly appreciated

Jason.

oh and compression test done and all ok at 220psi

Has this problem been resolved I am having same issues

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats wewood
You really need to start a new thread with your question. Doesn't matter what this poster found wrong with his engine, it may not be the the same cure for your engine.

Jchiswell

Recruit

Has this problem been resolved I am having same issues

Yes, problem was resolved. The earlier of the 6.2 MPI engines running the MEFI system had a lower fuel pressure, around 25-28 psi.
As i had 45-48 psi all was thought was ok, even by a few Mercruiser technicians.

It wasnt until we did further research that we found that the fuel pressure was meant to be lower.
This was found by looking through the older manuals and also check fuel pressure on another boat with the same engine.

A new fuel pump and Pressure regulator was fitted and all is now ok. The fuel pump was only replaced due to excessive corrosion around the cooler core tubes.

Hope you get your problem sorted soon.