Who pulls a skier with their Holiday?

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class
New to the site and I'm trying to get some info on a boat that I'm considering. It is a 1969 Holiday, without the walkthrough dash. This boat is powered by the original Evinrude 100 o/b. I know that I'll have plenty of power, but I'm concerned about attaching floatables on the transom. The previous owner ripped off a stern cleat, so I don't want to go that route without beefing up the undersides. I've thought about the rear tie down eyes, but they aren't "eyes." They look like 4in long handles and I'm worried about their strength.

I don't have the boat in front of me, and can't test it on the lake until later in the week. I'm not familiar enough with this model to know the strength of the transom in this area. Any of you Holiday owners pull kids around? How did you attach your ropes?

Lyle29464

Lieutenant
Re: Who pulls a skier with their Holiday?

Any outboard transom that is in good shape will pull anything hooked to the "lifting rings"
They are cheap and ez to install. Many I/O's use just one in the center. So 2 will be great.
You can always replace your existing stern cleats with SS and add a backing plate.

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an 18f '68 Holiday 120 I/O I pull the wife on skis and tube.. with the center ring I have 2 tie down rings as well

IMAG0013.jpg

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would you mind posting a pic of *** end of that boat? I'd like to see how your cleats are mounted, as well as the tie down rings. Thanks!

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

The photo in my last post, the boat had a 3 blade 21p SS prop went out today with a 4 blade 18p boy does she get up a lot faster but lost about 7 MPH top end.

5031769531_52a6a7354c_z.jpg

Click here for really big photo

clich here for a side view for cleat placement

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the nice pics! Those eyes are totally different from what is on the back of this boat that I'm considering. I'll see if I can find a pic somewhere on the forum. I saw one the other day!

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well that was easier than I thought! The first Holiday restoration page I looked up had the exact same tie-down handles. You can see it clearly on one of the first few pics that this person has posted. If I end up getting this boat, I will be pulling tubes and skiers. I'm just wondering if this handle can take it, or if I should install something else. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=492950

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are you handles (tie downs) screwed in or bolted through the transom ?

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll know when I go to test drive the boat tomorrow. I plan on giving everything a pretty good look, and hopefully, he'll let me compression test the motor.

starcrafter65

Chief Petty Officer

Nice arse on that Holiday!!:p

I used the center ring above the engine for pulling - I also use a 17 pitch prop - which is awesome - watch for overrevving on that one though.

TheWrks

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice arse on that Holiday!!:p

I used the center ring above the engine for pulling - I also use a 17 pitch prop - which is awesome - watch for overrevving on that one though.
Are you talking about my "buttock" :eek: so what RPM would that be :confused:

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I made the deal. Took it out on the water and the onboard speedo only indicated 26mph. The tach was not functioning, and according to the PO, never did. I'm guessing that the speedo on these aren't super accurate, but I forgot my gps, so I can only guess how fast we were going. Prop isn't in the greatest of shape, so that and the engine trim may have something to do with the speed. Can't read the hid on the transom, but the O/B tags indicate that its a 1966 Evinrude 100hp. I'm assuming that the motor is original to the boat.

So here's a list of what I need to do to it:

1. replace stern cleats
2. install better tie-down eyes (for pulling skiers)
3. repair tach
4. repair deck lighting and horn (non-functional)
5. repaint the boat (its kinda ugly right now)
6. think about a new prop
7. buy a tube/rope and have a whole lotta fun with da' fam!

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, got the deck lights functioning, and also repaired the electric choke. Didn't know it wasn't functioning when I was looking everything over the first time. Running out good, but batteries were dead in the GPS (of course!). A shot of my son's first time driving a boat!

f0f277805cc3__1313701977000[1].jpg

inthedirtagain

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had a chance to get everything working on the boat over the last few weeks, so we took it out over the holiday weekend. Found 12.5x16 prop (new) and with trim, we got a best of 31.5mph @5600rpm confirmed on GPS. Lost a little holeshot in the process, too. My wife was almost able to get up on 2 skis, but kept falling over. Wasn't enough motor to get me out of the water (6'3, 240lbs). Had fun on the tube, though. Going to try with the old prop to see if we can get our holeshot back again. Thoughts?