1973 Starcraft possible purchase, new to boats have questions!!

ADKBoatGuy

Cadet
Hi all,

We stumbled across a 1973 Starcraft Holiday with 1968 Johnson motor and a old trailer. Guy wanted $1500 for it but will take $1000. I snapped a few pics and was hoping you knowledgeable folks could give me an idea of if it worth that much.

Thanks,

--Ben

IMG_0327.jpgIMG_0330.jpgIMG_0331.jpgIMG_0333.jpgIMG_0328.jpg

heyyou325

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1973 Starcraft possible purchase, new to boats have questions!!

The boat looks in fair shape. Where are you at? West coast seems to cost more than midwest or east. Does the motor run, or turn over? Is the decking sound. With that 20 horse on it, I'm guessing it's a 16 footer. Probably about max I'd pay. I think I'd try to talk him down some more, even on the west coast. The worst he could do is say no.

ADKBoatGuy

Cadet

The boat looks in fair shape. Where are you at? West coast seems to cost more than midwest or east. Does the motor run, or turn over? Is the decking sound. With that 20 horse on it, I'm guessing it's a 16 footer. Probably about max I'd pay. I think I'd try to talk him down some more, even on the west coast. The worst he could do is say no.

Oops, I'm on the East Coast in very Northern NY State. Haven't checked the motor. Can I fire that up out of the water? It all seemed very sound. Its actually a 14ft.

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

Can I fire that up out of the water?

No, I wouldnt do that...... And if the seller is allowing you to do that .... I might pass on buying it too. You need some "muffs" for an OB. Or for a smaller motor you can use a trash can/barrel full of water. As long as it covers the water inlet. Neat little SC. :D Good Luck.

bananaboater

Ensign

Looks pretty original to my eye. The motor condition is important to the price and that trailer is a bit marginal. The two oars could be a sign of some kind. Good luck.

ADKBoatGuy

Cadet

Looks pretty original to my eye. The motor condition is important to the price and that trailer is a bit marginal. The two oars could be a sign of some kind. Good luck.

Odd part is I didn't see anywhere for the oars to lock in! I can't imagine trying to paddle the thing in like a canoe if the motor quit.

I took the motor cover off and the the thing looked new. I'm not an engine mechanic but there wasn't any obvious sign of wear on the motor itself. The cover could use some work.

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I would agree that the trailer looks a little worse for wear.Does the transom on that look ok? just seemed like it was in pretty rough shape in the pictures.Try and talk him down some more.Maybe 750-800 and see what happens.Worse case scenario you replace transom floor and the OB.That looks like a pretty nice hull though from the pictures.

ADKBoatGuy

Cadet

I'm going to need a primer on boat lingo!!

Brenn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah im not great with the lingo either,lol.Transom is the board at the rear or stern of the boat that the outboard mounts too.They can rot out and need to be replaced.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

That motor appears to be a long shaft..The prop is way too far below the transom in my opinion.
Looks like it needs to be shortened up about 6 inches or so..

ADKBoatGuy

Cadet

Yeah im not great with the lingo either,lol.Transom is the board at the rear or stern of the boat that the outboard mounts too.They can rot out and need to be replaced.

Yeah I banged on that and it felt solid. Needs some paint.

Huron Angler

Admiral

That motor appears to be a long shaft..The prop is way too far below the transom in my opinion.
Looks like it needs to be shortened up about 6 inches or so..

Look at the last photo in his first post, the OB length is fine I think.

Welcome aboard, for 1k I'd want the motor to be test run, on a lake ideally. Nice boat:)

ADKBoatGuy

Cadet

Look at the last photo in his first post, the OB length is fine I think.

Welcome aboard, for 1k I'd want the motor to be test run, on a lake ideally. Nice boat:)

I'll have to swing that by him. We'd have to go a ways to get to water to put it in.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

What a sharp little Holiday, I really like it!

I am seeing a great looking hull with one of the most important parts intact, the windshield.

The trailer doesn't do a whole lot for me. An outboard that I don't see run really isn't very appealing either. My guess is the transom is probably original to to boat so it's about time to swap that out too.

So having said that, great hull + windshield = $300

Good running outboard would add a few hundred to that. I'd ask to take it for a test drive or put some muffs on it.

East coat pricing so a few hundred get added on top of that too.

Have Fun!:)

DDawg

Cadet

That is a 14' Holiday (as stated).
It has had some work done, since the original seats, wall panels, & floor covering were that same orange as the hull.
I only know that, because I have one & had to tear it all out because it was rotted.
It looks to be in ok shape, but unless it's been covered it's hull (pun intended) life, will probably need the deck pulled & re done at a minimum.
Mine had zero drainage at the ribs, & even after no rain for a couple months & sitting tilted up, had a bunch of water trapped between the ribs, not to mention the waterlogged foam that was laid between!

It is a "tippy" feeling hull, & if you are new to boats it will feel unstable to you when you get in. It is however pretty seaworthy & I have taken mine in water most wouldn't(San Francisco Bay).
The caveat is that I know my water & have spent a good part of my life on & running boats on the Bay.

The 20hp will probably leave you wanting. The boat is rated for 40hp, & my 35 does a good job with all but the heaviest loads.

All in all, I think if the motor runs good & you can get him to $800 you'll do good. Doubt I'd go much more than that.

Dave

ADKBoatGuy

Cadet

Put a call in to the guy to see about a test drive and price drop. I didn't see a battery in this thing anywhere and I'm assuming there needs to be one.

DDawg

Cadet

Just looked at the pictures again, that is a pull start motor, so no battery required.
You would want one for lights or any accessories you want in it.

ADKBoatGuy

Cadet

Just looked at the pictures again, that is a pull start motor, so no battery required.
You would want one for lights or any accessories you want in it.

OK, thanks. There are some small lights on it but I didn't see much wiring or a place for a battery.

We're trying to arrange a tryout on Tuesday afternoon. He's got 5 other calls on it but he's giving us (my mother is the one who wants it) dibs.

ADKBoatGuy

Cadet

Just out of curiosity what would a 40HP motor run me?