good day onthe lake

Afzape

Seaman Apprentice
I took the boat out and the day started off terrible. When I put the cover on the motor last I must have put it on wrong because I ripped two spark plug wires out of their boots. The thing wouldn't start at all. I was pretty upset because I jsut rebuilt the lower unit, cleaned the carbs, etc and it should have ran like a champ. I fixed the plug wires and got it running.

The wife and I went to our favorite swimming cove and hungout while I pulled the plugs and sprayed seafoam in the cylinders to let them soak. I put everything back and went to fire it up and it wouldn't run. Turns out in my excitement I crossed two of the plug wires. The thing wouldn't run. Well i got that straightened out and ran the rest of the decarboning seafoam mix through the boat. Changed the plugs and went for a another WOT run. The boats runs great now! The wife and I had fun until the dreaded loading ramp.

I let someone go ahead of me because the wife is no help yet and I basically do everything myself until she gets it figured out. BIG MISTAKED! These people took forever and then people started piling into the place and it is a single launch ramp. Well an hour after we anchored the boat near the ramp I finally go to pull it on. Now issues with loading though.

Other than my couple of idiot moments it was a good day on the lake. Just thought I would share a bit with you all and say thanks to everyone for the knowledge I learned from reading other's experiences. This forum is great.

MGoral

Cadet
Re: good day onthe lake

Its always a adventure out on the water. I was recently out, I got to the slip early jumped on the boat and headed out to do some fluke fishing. Drift after drift boat started and ran great, around lunch time the wife and kid wanted to do some swimming. We beached the boat at a spot we regularly visit. Sat there beached for about a couple of hours then went to start the motor to head back in. Turned the key and nothing! Thought I had a dead battery so I switched over to my backup and still nothing. Took the cover off the motor pulled started and got her running. By the time I got her running the tide had gone out just enough leaving me stuck on the beach. I jump on the radio and got a hold on my towing service. An hour later they finally pulled me off, I pull started the motor again and headed back. After some investagation, a starter, and solenoid I had her running great. Next day out she started doing it again, turn the key nothing! This time I jumped the solenoid and got it started. Picked up an ignition from the marina, but before I was going to put it in I thought I'd check few things. It turns out the ground wire on the solenoid was attached to a bolt which screws into a hole on the motor. The threads in the hole were striped! I rerouted the ground wire to another part of the motor problem resolved. Always an adventure!

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer
Re: good day onthe lake

I headed up to the lake yesterday by myself, wife & baby didn't want to go, so I thought I'd just do a solo cruze & maybe a bit of fishing as well. I got to the prep area in the parking lot & it was quite busy, so I took my time & let several others pass by waiting for a slow down in the action & take my time launching due to the fact I was alone ( not a big deal, I launch & retrieve myself all the time). I was just ready to pull it up & back it down when a mini van with a family in it pulled up behind me, I thought why not let them go ahead, they had 2 little boy's that seemed very excited to go in the deep-V dad had. I let them go & wouldn't you know it, it was the "prep the boat on the ramp guy", kids, coolers, pfd's, fishing poles, everything. I just had to laugh to myself. I waited & waited, & before you know it I'm getting ready to back it down into the water & CRACK! big bolt of lightning & major down pour. I thanked God for the "prep on ramp guy" as I drove home nice & dry. I don't think I would have gotten 20 min.'s in before it hit if I didn't let he go ahead. Well, that's my day at the lake. Try it again today.