1987 50hp force only runs about half speed???

phearly

Cadet
I took my new-to-me 14' bayliner capri out for the 1st time today. The 50hp Force outboard seemed to run smooth but, to me, seemed like it was probably only reaching a third to a half of the rpm's that it probably should....the boat would not go fast at all(I would say 10mph or less) at full forward throttle. after about 20 minutes of this it reached a point where the motor died and from that point on any more throttle than just above a crawl will make the motor sputter & die(like it's being starved for gas. It does pump water & has new plugs & fresh gas(though I am using the old, metal tank, fuel line, & primer bulb that came with it):confused:. If it was just the fact that it seems starved for gas I would blame it on possibly bad a primer bulb or something in the fuel system gunked up, but the fact that it never really got revved up as high as I think it should have has got me stumped. Any ideas?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 50hp force only runs about half speed???

First do a compression/spark test.
The change the fuel lines and tank.Then the pump diaphram.
Clean the carbs and then try again.
If the motor revs and no speed then the hub/prop could be spun.

phearly

Cadet

The problem turned out to be a bad, brown wire from the points to the bottom coil that was causing a no-spark condition in the bottom cylinder. I took it out today and it got up to about 25mph(a LOT better than the 6mph it was doing before!!!).

fsantana14

Cadet

Hello Guys,

I have this problem were my motor sounds and revs properly but opn water it just has no power to move the boat, how can check for a spun hub or electrical problem, last comment that I receive here was to check and change all electrical wire but no sucess.

Thanks in advance

The problem turned out to be a bad, brown wire from the points to the bottom coil that was causing a no-spark condition in the bottom cylinder. I took it out today and it got up to about 25mph(a LOT better than the 6mph it was doing before!!!).

bentle

Chief Petty Officer

Put your questions on a new post. There are alot of us who may be able to help and may not see this thread.