Garmin GPS and Software

ken52

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well I just took the plunge and bought a Garmin 740S. I love it though it's a little getting use to with the touch screen. Seems to make waypoints very very easy. Anyway my question is are any of you using the HomePort software and do you like it and are you plotting your course on your pc then transfering it to your gps when you head out? Seems like some nice software without breaking the bank. Thanks in advance.

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Garmin GPS and Software

I use Homeport with bluechart G2 vision......and transfer the routes from the computer to my GPSMap 60Cx.......it's a little time involved.....but worth the effort for me.....;)

ken52

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks turn-in-burn. It seems like it would be a good addition to the gps for the cost. Do you like the addition of the G2 Vision? I know if I add it to mine it give me the capability to use the auto guidance feature. I see your from my old neck of the woods. Was born on the west side og Bflo. Before moving to FL I lived in Pendleton and worked at the air base. Did a lot of fishing on the breakwall of the river as a kid. Thanks again.

Kenny

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I plotted my course at home a few times and found it easier to just "plot" my course on the way and save it as a route if I choose to do so.

Turn-n-Burn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

oops my bad.....I had the inland lakes vision and upgraded to the plain Bluechart g2......the vision one wouldn't work for my handheld.....sorry :facepalm:

try gpsunderground.....you might be able to find a try it before you buy it thing....I liked it enough yo buy it......:D

not much has changed in this neck of the woods for over 20 years now.....:rolleyes:

ken52

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks dingbat & turn-n-burn. For the cost of $30 I'll probably get it. I like pc stuff anyway, give me something to do on a rainy day. Thanks again guys.