Tried Wake skating

jwells36

Cadet
My wife and I have been learning how to wakeboard this summer and were finally getting the hang of it and started to try a few basic tricks. We both took a couple of nasty spills and decided to put the wakeboards down for a little bit and buy a wake skate and see what it was like. Wow we are both in love with it. First of all I bought a decent skate for $100 and both of us can ride the same board, with the wake board we both had to have different sized boards so it was much more expensive to get into. Our first time out on the wake skate we both got up on it on our second try and with in a few minutes we were comfortable riding and even trying a few surface tricks. I have not mastered switching feet yet but I can say the the falls hurt much less than wakeboarding. I am sure that if you are good enough to jump from wake to wake on a wakeboard it is more fun but for just a couple of regular people out having fun on the water the wake skate was an awesome addition for us.

CV16

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tried Wake skating

Sweet. I never heard of wake skating. After looking at some youtube, I have to get one now. It sure looks safer that a wake board(not strapped in). Thanks for the post, I'll have one soon!

Walker600

Seaman Apprentice

I can do both and there both alot of fun, I think as you progress more and as you have all the kit you'll get more into the boarding again! For now have a great time on the skate!!

WakeMe

Seaman Apprentice

I love the surfing and skating, I'll be sticking with those for now, really like the non-binding freedom.

Al Bee

Cadet

I was in the same situation. Enough faceplants convinced me to try out a wakeskate and then transfer the experience to my wakeboard. The wakeskate is much more "slippery" than my wake board tho, and swimming for the board is getting old as well. Everyone on the boat gets a kick out of it when I land on my butt and the board shoots out from under me in a bullit sort of fashion. I'm now back on my wakeboard about 70% of the time. I still find the skate fun tho.

dpd2483

Seaman Apprentice

i wakeskate and wakeboard is more fun to me the wakeskate comes of my feet a lot

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We removed the bindings on an old wakeboard, added some traction tape to the top surface, an use it llike a wakeskate at about 12 mph.
It's really alot of fun, the falls don't hurt much at that speed. I think it's going to help teach better control of a regular wakeboard too.

shep247

Seaman

I just got a wakeskate this year myself. I agree that the falls hurt a lot less. The biggest downfall for me is that it's almost impossible to find smooth water where I'm at, so I kinda need the bindings to keep from bouncing off the board.