1964 evinrude 9.5 fuel problems???

tim in kc

Recruit
i have a 1964 evinrude 9.5 and i had it out for the first time the other day,it ran pretty good seemed like it could have been a little faster and the low idle was a little rough but would idle at the lowest setting if i pulled the choke out about half way. so i took the carb off and sprayed it all down with carb cleaner and reassembled,also i noticed some particles in the fuel filter sight glass so i cleaned it out and put back on. well when i fired it back up it will start and run for a few seconds then die. i noticed that the fuel filter sight glass was only about half full. is this a fuel pump problem? should that sight glass be totally full? it seems like when i ran it before that it was completly full but i cant remember. thanks in advance for any help i am new to these small motors and also new to this board. there is alot of good info on here.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1964 evinrude 9.5 fuel problems???

The glass bowl should be full. Look for; a leak in the fuel line(s), bad primer bulb, or bad fuel pump.

tim in kc

Recruit
Re: 1964 evinrude 9.5 fuel problems???

Thats what i was thinkin, it will run now but the sight glass after a min is only half full. Im gonna get a rebuild kit for the fuel pump. Thank you for your help.