1998 Volvo 5.7 GS Problem, Please Help

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just purchased a 1998 wellcraft 3000 martinique with twin 5.7 GS engines with 450 hours. Returning to my home port (about 1 ride from the purchase point) when I got to my dock the port engine would not shut off. I disengaged the emergency lanyard and still would shut off. I had to turn off the batterty switch to kill it. Now it will not start. I switch the iginition switch from starboard to port and still no start from the port side (the starboard side started up on the port igintion). Does anyone know what may be going on? Please help! I traded in a perfectly good boat for this one.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1998 Volvo 5.7 GS Problem, Please Help

Turning off the battery switch is the WORST possible way of stopping the engine. Pulling the coil wire out of the coil or distributor cap would have shut it off. You may have damaged the diodes in the alternator.
Have you called the seller to see if any work has been done on it before you purchased it? My help track down the problem.
Some possibilities, starter solenoid, slave relay, wiring on starter solenoid touching other terminals, problems in engine wiring.

What is the full model number of your engine, maybe we can get the right wiring diagram.

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks - why wouldn;t the kill switch work? I'll need to put rubber gloves on the boat.

The engines are 5.7 GS. When I was purchasing the boat I came back a few days after the sea trial (Dealer allowed me to start transfering belongings off my trade) and the port (same) wouldn't start. Dealer replaced a relay. The engine not shutting off is what has me worried. The good news is that the dealer is sending a mechanic to my boat tomorrow (Sunday - WOW) to figure out what is wrong. Please share any ideas. I will post the mechanics findings tomorrow night.

Hooked on Deanna

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Problem solved...Bad starter!

The starter shorted out and allowed current to cycle back to the ignition taking the key switch out of the loop.