Carburetor Problem Force 85

FAQdaWorld

Cadet
Hey Folks

1987 Force 85hp Outboard

Problem : Fuel leak from the carb bowl area.

I have a fuel leak coming from what a manual describes to me as a 'jet' on the carb, but I believe its actually a venturi ( I could be wrong, I'm new to carbs! Maybe they are the same or I'm using the wrong terminology)

Here is a pic with circled in red where the leak iscarbwtfrak.JPG

I believe what is going on is that the float is stuck and the carb bowl is flooding with fuel thus spewing out gas anywhere it can. If this is the case can it be fixed without removing the entire carb assembly or can it be done on the engine (please god).

In the very likely situation that I'm totally off the wall wrong in whats going on, WHAT IS GOING on? and how to fix it please?

First to answer gets a theoretical cookie

Thanks,
-FAQ/Ryan

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Carburetor Problem Force 85

Hi Ryan

I?ve just answered another question similar so I just cut and pasted it here.

?It?s probably the needle and seat in the carby not sealing with the extra pressure from the new fuel pump. There may have been some rubbish dislodged from the rebuilding of the fuel pump that is stopping the needle and seat from sealing. To prevent this it is a good idea to have an inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carby. The seat may be worn and need replacing. You could try removing the bowl from the carby and the fuel line to the carby and giving the hole where the seat is a blast of compressed air. You could also try using a cotton bud soaked in carby cleaner to clean the seat.

I have attached a photo of what to look for with a worn needle. They are cheap to replace. If you replace the needle you will need to check the float level in the carby. ?

You can get at the needle without removing the carby but as far as I know you need to set the float height with the carby inverted. Also check you float in petrol to see if it does float. Shake it to listen for any petrol inside. If you don?t change any of the adjustments on the carb when you remove it should be OK to set the float level and refit it to the motor. The only thing I can think of is if the level of the fuel in the carby changes with the float set correctly the Idle mixture may need to be adjusted. Hopefully someone with more knowledge of this will be able to answer this part of the question.

Good LuckNeedles1.jpg

FAQdaWorld

Cadet
Re: Carburetor Problem Force 85

Took it apart today, found a piece of old gas hose stuck in there! Needles werent worn at all. Cleaned it all out real good and then put it back together. Leak is gone! Thanks for the help folks!