Carburetor leaking fuel

Upnorth1963

Cadet
I have a older 85 hp Force. I just replaced the check valves in the fuel pump and put in a new diaphram. Now when I start the engine I notice fuel leaking from what appears to be a small port located on the top of the top carburetor. Any thoughts?

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Carburetor leaking fuel

It?s probably the needle and seat in the carby not sealing with the extra pressure from the new fuel pump. There may have been some rubbish dislodged from the rebuilding of the fuel pump that is stopping the needle and seat from sealing. To prevent this it is a good idea to have an inline fuel filter between the fuel pump and the carby. The seat may be worn and need replacing. You could try removing the bowl from the carby and the fuel line to the carby and giving the hole where the seat is a blast of compressed air. You could also try using a cotton bud soaked in carby cleaner to clean the seat.

I have attached a photo of what to look for with a worn needle. They are cheap to replace. If you replace the needle you will need to check the float level in the carby.

Good Luck
Needles1.jpg

ben jones

Cadet
Re: Carburetor leaking fuel

your new found fuel pressure probably exposed a leak. Fix the carb seals