shift linkage on 75 70hp johnson

Exotic4x4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey everyone wanted to put a new impelled in today room 6 bolts out of the lower unit left 2 in case it dropped, anyways I cant seem to find where to disconnect the shift linkage I sound under the carbs there is a verticle rod that pivots when u put it in gear that runs down to the lower unit. Is this all that's holding me from it coming out? If that rod is it I actually have to remove all the carb housings to even access the bolt...am I correct? Or does someone know something I'm over looking. Also I added a tell today drilled into the water jacket of the head on top cylinder and replaced thermostat..was hoping to get the impeller done also but this is my first Johnson I've owned things are a lot different from mercs

Exotic4x4

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: shift linkage on 75 70hp johnson

My linkage is kind of S shaped its going to be a pain the butt to pull up through the rubber grommets when re installing the L U

Exotic4x4

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So If that being said undo the bolt holding the shift linkage under the carb and that whole shift rod that's almost 22" long will come out with the lower unit? My manual is not specific on it basically tells about the impeller replacement

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I never did it on a 3 cylinder but on my V4 the whole shift rod comes out with the L/U. It isn't particularly hard to get to the screw, I used a long 3/8 extension and a swivel and I think a 3/8 socket. The hardest part about it is not losing the screw. Mine went right back in, jiggled the linkage a couple of times and the screw slid right back in to place. Watch how it comes out and put it back in the same way.