over heating 1989 forester 125 hp 3.0 help

cifd342000

Cadet
i have a 1989 omc forester 125 engine 3.0 i just got my boat back from fla after sitting for two years. the boat starts fine. i put in a new water pump kit in. the old one was chew up from someone useing the boat. so here is my problem. one: where you put the ear at the bottom the water does not go up to the water pump. because i took off the houseing and the impeller and there was no water coming out of it. so i flush water into the right side and the water came out of the bottom vent. then when to the left side no water came out of that vent. it just pour back out. and where i am taking about flushing the water is behind the impeller there is two open holes and i do have it set down to run the water into it. so could it be blocked and maybe a rubber could have fell in from being burn up or can it be something else. can someone let me know where i stand and what i can do about this its driving me crazy.

thank you :eek: :eek::confused: :facepalm:

cr2k

Captain
Re: over heating 1989 forester 125 hp 3.0 help

Did you chase down ALL the pieces of the old impeller? rebuilding it like a jigsaw puzzle? If not that may very well be your problem. The muffs don't force water into the engine they just fill the area for the impeller to pick it up. First place that gets plugged is the heat exchanger then usually the thermostat housing.

2nd. Are you sure you got the water tube properly inserted into the housing? If not the water from the pump will just spill out into the exhaust housing and not get anywhere near the engine.