"Drive" pin vs. "Shear" pin

kfa4303

Banned
HI all. Just wondering what if any difference there is in a "drive" pin vs. a "shear" pin. Are they, in fact, the same thing that go by different names? Are drive pins consumable (designed to fail upon impact) like shear pins, or are they more rigid? The "drive" pin in my 20hp looks like it may be made of SS, whereas the "shear" pin in my 10hp is clearly brass. If drive pins are not consumable what is designed to fail in the LU in the event of an impact? The prop hub? If "drive" pins are consumable, I want/need to get some spares for my '66 20hp, but I'm not sure of the size. I've heard folks get brass rods at the hardware store and cut pins to length themselves, but I'm not sure of the type or size of brass rod I'd need to get. Thanks for any tips.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: "Drive" pin vs. "Shear" pin

I know on my 5 hp merc, the cotter pin is just to keep the prop nut from backing out. Pretty sure the hub will give. I could be completely wrong though :) But its on a spline, so it would have to be the prop that gives...?

iwombat

Captain

A drive pin is stainless and is used with hubbed props. It's not supposed to break even if the prop hits something.

A shear pin is bronze and is used with the older non-hubbed props. It's supposed to break when the prop hits something.

The terms are often used interchangeably, but they're two different animals.

nwcove

Admiral

for getting the correct size brass rod to make your own shear pins, just get your drill bit set out, find the one that fits the hole in the shaft correctly, and go with it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

On the old mtrs I'd use nothing but brass. It's a lot cheaper than, d/s's, gears and props. May be a little work to change but well worth it $$$$ wise.

kfa4303

Banned

I see iwombat. So you either have a hubbed prop with a SS drive pin or an unhubbed prop with a bronze shear pin, is that right? Boobie, are you suggesting I replace all drive and or shear pins with bronze pins just to be safe? Thanks again.

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

'Drive' pins and 'shear' pins have different purposes, working different ways. Don't replace a drive pin with brass/bronze!

Figure out what you have, and replace parts accordingly.

<<)))(((>>

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A drive pin is a glass half full, a shear pin is often the same glass, but half empty.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

kfa, that is a decision only you can make. It also depends in what kind of waters you are running on.

kfa4303

Banned

I'm just gonna keep them stock. Shear pin on the 10hp and Drive pin on the 20hp. Thanks for the clarification.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

A drive pin is a glass half full, a shear pin is often the same glass, but half empty.

Yep, I agree. It's just a term that some would choose to use. One or the other.