Alt conversion kit 3.7

Threest20

Cadet
Hey all, 3.7 of mine isnt charging. found a 65 amp and 105 amp one wire alt conversion kits. What is everyones opinion on the amperage and manufactuer of the kits? Thanks! This forum has a great bunch of people! The year is 1988 non p/s engine

1977 SILVERLINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Alt conversion kit 3.7

Use a three wire alt set up a one wire works great but will run your battery down if it sits for a while.

Threest20

Cadet

Very good then, thank you, 3 wire kit from breeze on order

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Very good then, thank you, 3 wire kit from breeze on order

Great. One thing: make sure you use a good torque wrench on the bolts that go through the cast aluminum covers. If you over tighten them they could crack.

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

And don't be a butthead like I was when I originally installed my kit. I couldn't figure out where the third bracket, so I assumed it was extra and not-applicable. Shook my alternator literally to death over a couple of seasons. :redface: I did get a longer bolt for where the two brackets are doubled up on a single bolt just to make sure I had plenty of thread engaged.

I've got the three wire kit, too.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

"Use a three wire alt set up a one wire works great but will run your battery down if it sits for a while. "
mind explaining that statement.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

"Use a three wire alt set up a one wire works great but will run your battery down if it sits for a while. "
mind explaining that statement.

I think he means that the one wire usually doesn't charge below 1,000 rpms, so if you are idling for a long time you can run down your battery.

Happy boating!

1977 SILVERLINE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A 1 wire alternator has a constant draw to excite the alternator to make it charge.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

A 1 wire alternator has a constant draw to excite the alternator to make it charge.

Actually, it doesn't. You have to rev the engine to make this happen. The rule of thumb seems to be above 950 rpm's.

That seem to be the origin of calling this an "exciter" circuit...you have to pass a certain threshold to make it happen.

Happy boating!

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

Actually, it doesn't. You have to rev the engine to make this happen. The rule of thumb seems to be above 950 rpm's.

That seem to be the origin of calling this an "exciter" circuit...you have to pass a certain threshold to make it happen.

Happy boating!

Physics term. Excitation is the process of generating a magnetic field by means of an electric current (wiki).

I thought I read yesterday while researching alternators that the three wire is the one that requires a little rev to make it charge and that the one wire charges from the get-go with no revving required. I'll try to find the article. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Yep, I mistaken. Read so many online articles that I'm seeing double and they're blurring together. The little rev turns on the self-excitation circuit.

Ibl0wstuffup

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ive seen one wire alts kill a battery in traffic on a car with electric fans. If you dont rev it a one wire won't charge. The other wires in the 3 wire setup detect battery voltage and use that to control the alternators output.