Should I add 2nd gas tank

Poppa Clay

Cadet
I have a 24' Fisher Freedom 1997 model. It in an I/O with a Mercruiser 3.0 Alpha One.
I am thinking of removing the changing room/tent and installing a second 20 gallon gas tank.
It would save a lot on fuel from the Marina's and allow me to use it more on the Arkansas river where there are very few refueling locations.

Thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

Clay

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Should I add 2nd gas tank

Hey, welcome aboard fellow Arkie. I think it makes sense if you don't plan on selling the boat any time in the next few years. Things like popup changing rooms, sinks, etc. aren't really that useful but add perceived value in the minds of potential buyers (especially of the female persuasion, and we all know how important they are at boat buying time;)). If you're not absolutely sure you'll keep the barge for a long time you might just try securely stashing a couple of gas cans somewhere on the boat. However, if you're most likely to be a long term owner I say go for it. What part of SE Arkansas? We usually head for Greers or Catherine, but sometimes we'll sneak down to the North Little Rock ramp for a few hours on the river. I love it.

Poppa Clay

Cadet

Hi and thanks for the reply,
We live South of De Witt in farm country but have a houseboat on Ouachita at Crystal Springs. We usually take the party barge out because the grandkids enjoy being able to swim around the islands and go tubing.
We are heading to Tar Camp at Redfield tomorrow and not sure where we will end up LOL.

I was thinking the same way about the extra tank and we plan on keeping the toon for a while.

Clay

The Rooster

Ensign

Hey "Poppa" welcome. Back when we had our 24' Bentley, about the only gripe I had was the 24 gal. fuel tank it came with. Ours was a triple tube w/ V6 power, and we could run through 24 gal. in one outing. A common remedy the local dealer did was to install an auxillary 12 gal. tank under the sunpad w/ a small electric fuel pump and toggle switch on the dash. This worked out beautifully, and became so popular that a lot of the owners w/ twin tube barges up-graded to this system as well. But, on the Bentley, we did not have to sacrifice the changing room. Good luck.