Do I have a power trim sender unit?

dkoch53

Cadet
I just purchased a pontoon with a 200 hp merc outboard. It has power tilt and trim but no gauge. Have heard that most have the sender unit included just need to connect a gauge. Anyway to tell if that's true in my case?

Thanks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do I have a power trim sender unit?

What year is the motor? Look up the parts list on crowleymarine.com and see if one was offered. The are usually inside the transom bracket.

BTW - I never found them to be too useful. It was better to trim by feel. A properly trimmed boat (for a particular speed), will handle lightly.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

A gauge is actually very helpful in applications where you cannot see the engine/lower unit. Some pontoons have couches or seating across the back that blocks the view of the outboard. Instead of having to get up and look to see where the engine is everytime you go to move the boat you can just look at the gauge and get an idea. It may keep you from hitting the bottom or starting the engine with the entire thing out of the water. (That noice scares the wifey... Don't ask how I know that.) And pontoons don't act the same way as a planing hull, at least not the ones I've been on.

My '93 Merc has the sender but I have no gauge but I have no idea if it came with it or not.

shrew

Lieutenant

There should be a little black puck on each side of the gimbal ring. Take a look and see if you have one or two. One will be the Trim Limit Sender and the other will be the Trim Indicator Sender. Here is a link that tells you more about them and shows what they look like.

http://www.sterndrives.com/replacing_trim_senders.html

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I just purchased a pontoon with a 200 hp merc outboard. It has power tilt and trim but no gauge. Have heard that most have the sender unit included just need to connect a gauge. Anyway to tell if that's true in my case?

Thanks.

There should be a little black puck on each side of the gimbal ring. Take a look and see if you have one or two. One will be the Trim Limit Sender and the other will be the Trim Indicator Sender. Here is a link that tells you more about them and shows what they look like.

http://www.sterndrives.com/replacing_trim_senders.html

Hmmm just how big is that ring on an outboard:p:facepalm: I had to pick on you!

dkoch53

Cadet

Sorry, I meant to include that info. It's a 2003.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

You beat me to that Bob...