No power under load

davidgauldin

Recruit
I have a 1973 Johson 65hp motor rebuilt carbs with Johnson parts. Cleaned carbs, new fuel lines, the works. Runs and starts great with the earmuffs and at the boat ramp but when I try to go fast it just will not take off, has no power. Acts like it is not getting eneough fuel .. Anyone with any suggestions on where I would start to look to find the problem... Thanks David

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: No power under load

be sure all plugs are firing--a dead cylinder is not always apparent to the ear.

Are you getting RPM's but no power? that's a spun prop. I assume it worked OK before so it's not mismatched to the boat or prop.

davidgauldin

Recruit

No I am not getting any RPM'S either.. All plugs are firing. I get plenty of RPM'S when I operate the throttle by hand and in neutral,but when I put it in gear and go forward that is when it just dies down.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

from what I've learned around here, that's likely a fuel delivery issue. Check all your fuel line connections to be sure there are no leaks, and also verify that the tank is properly vented. After that the real mechanics here will have to step up!

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if it acts like it's not getting fuel I'd check there even though you have new lines , once encountered kinda same issue, turned out to be a loose fuelline into on eof the carbs.
post in the johnson/evinrude section and the guys there will def point you towards a cure..