Force 120 Starter?

irish1234

Recruit
Thanks for lookin...

Rebuilt my 1998 Force 120 new stator, carbs, exuaust plate, plug wires, etc. etc.

The batteries seem to get low like something is drawing power yet all is off... so I charged them for 12-14 hrs
and now see 13 volts from the 2 batteries...

But now she will not start as the 5393 Atco Starter spins but the gear won't pop up to engage the flywheel to
start the engine.

IS the starter bad and could that also affect the charging of the batteries or is that a bad _______ ???

Thanks for any advice... So close and yet so far!

Tom

fucawi

Banned
Re: Force 120 Starter?

you need to clean the drive mechanism with parafin or WD 40 as its stuck or rusty..no oil or grease please as this stops it working.....spray it and work it up and down by hand .....Most people disconnect the battery when the boat is not in use ....batteries charged and stood for 24 hrs should show 12.5 or more ..less is suspicious as to there condition...when all is off put an ammeter from bat neg to bat neg lead removed and see if it draws anything ..should be zero

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Digital radios some depthfinders will stay on and draw the battery down.
Install a switch.

irish1234

Recruit

Thanks guys.

Trying the WD40 approach but she has yet to go up and down. As I want to go out in the Gulf and its just 150...
maybe just replace?

I have the Peko Battery switch and shut the batt. to the off position...

One batt. is new and is a Marine quick starting 1250 CCA the other is a Marine Deep Cycle (but may be bad as its old... 4-5yrs?)

We put in a new Stator but I'm think maybe I should replace the voltage regulator / rectifier?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice!

Tom
Destin, Fla.

irish1234

Recruit

Just tried to move the spindel with the small gear on top up and down... no go. :(

New one? How hard its it to rebuild one of these?

Looks like a new one (Atco 5393) will run about 150 via eBay

Can I still start the engine if I buy one of those pull ropes like for a lawn mower?

fucawi

Banned

TAke the starter off and clean the pinion assembly with WD 40 until you can move it up and down by hand freely ..it is a sloppy fit and should wind up and down easy ..dont grease it or use thick oil just WD 40 or parafin