Im havin a hard time with this pulley system on a 1961 evinrude 10 hp

Jerry Moore

Cadet
I have a 12 foot aluminium 1964 starcraft that Ive compleatly referbished I put a 1961 10 hp evinrude on her new paint wood everything is lookin good I put a helm station on her cus I dont like the tiller ,,,eanyway I got it all hooked up but how maney times do I need to loop the cables around the steering weel? the cables leave the helm station go to a pullie then down the side to another pullie then cable goes to a pullie off the motor to a compression spring on side of boat .same on both sides get the tenchion out ...but it wont turn sooooo what the hell am I doing wrong!?!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Im havin a hard time with this pulley system on a 1961 evinrude 10 hp

Have you got the cable in all the gruves on the helm ? You wrap the cable around them till they're filled.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The number of wraps will determine how far the motor will turn in each direction. You obviously only need enough cable to max the movement of the motor. Seems to me that 3 wraps on each side of the drum was enough, however it has been a long time (30 years) and my memory is not what it was...

Jerry Moore

Cadet

thank u so much for the reply I finelly hooked up the trailer and went for a drive and found out that I was wrapin both the same instead of turning all the way on one side and none on the other and then it nworked .......sometimes a guy wonders how come its the simple things that still stump ya!!!!!

Jerry Moore

Cadet

I figured it out and it was something simple....go figure....tee minis this weekend and shell be happly in the water!!!

Jerry Moore

Cadet

I thought i figured it out do u know wair I can see a pitcher or a instruction manual